Aug 7 surgery and Ive lost nicely but hungry

laura_teach
on 8/15/12 8:13 pm - Tomball, TX
VSG on 08/07/12
I have lost 20 pounds since my surgery Aug. 7. Pretty good. I can see the difference in my face. I am pumped about losing 20 but I have always been one that has to lose alot to show in my clothing size. So I am excited for when that day hits. Anyways I have no issues with my surgery at all. My friends who have had it are like, "you're too lucky, I was sick all the time or I had lots of little issues the first few weeks." So I guess I am thankful I havent had any issues. I will say though I am hungry. I know people will say its acid or head hungry but I know its not that. I am on my week two of the diet and I am hungry so I know I wasnt suppose to but I am shaking so I had one smal bite of cheese and chewed it to death. It fixed my issues and no issues staying down. Not like my friends are doctors but they think when I go to the doctor Monday he might say I can move to eating more because I am drinking plenty of water, I am drinking a little gaterado like they told me for salt, and sugar popsciles like they said to get sugar and I am getting plenty of protein and I am still hungry. So today I had another bite of cheese and I have been fine since. I know I shouldnt be but I am serious I could get an arm right now lol. I dont think I am getting enough food but we will see on Monday. I have been talking to my NUT online and she is thinking the same thing. So lets hope I get to eat more soon lol

UBi FIT
on 8/15/12 8:33 pm
VSG on 08/06/12
 I had surgery August 6 and I am hungry too. I also ate cheese and am fine. 
laura_teach
on 8/18/12 9:30 am - Tomball, TX
VSG on 08/07/12
Glad to see I am not alone! :)
Scohen1975
on 8/15/12 8:58 pm - Sandy, UT
 I had surgery on the 10th. On day 4-7 I can have string cheese chewed till mush, cottage cheese and yogurt...do I think you are fine. Keep
Up the great work. 20 lbs.. Way to go!
LindaDarnell B.
on 8/15/12 9:23 pm
VSG on 08/07/12
 OMG!! OMG!! You and i are sisters by another mister, lol!! We are few pounds apart in starting weight, same surgery date, and a  few pounds apart in weight lost, and I too have not had major "side effects".. But most of all , we are having the SAME exact struggle with food post-op!! I have been debating all day whether or not to post my struggles on here , but I didn't want to seem like a whiner and complainer. 

I'm tracking my food entry with My Fitness Pal, and I'm consuming less than 400 calories per day, which is fine. But i'm having major satiety/hunger issues. I will agree that some of it is me obsessing over foods I can't have. However, my chief complaint is that it's taking alot for me to get sated. I just graduated yesterday from clear liquids to full liquids, which now allows cream soups and yogurt. I was hoping this stage would help with the hunger, but it's not neccesarily. The cream soups do help with getting me full...but within an hour i'm hungry again. Then I consume eitherbroth or another clear liquid, but then I'm not satisfied!!!! 

I was (am) depressed today because I "cheated". I stuck to my foods list and stayed well under 400 calories, but I consumed  twice the portion sizes I should have. I had a rich hearty brocolli cream soup and then later a sugar free pudding, and instead of 2 oz each, I'm pretty sure I consumed about 4-5 oz. The sad part is I know I couldve eaten more. But I forced myself to stop because I'm so scared of stretching my stomach and being a complete failure..

The problem I have is I truly understand that the surgery is ONLY a tool, but I really thought, that at least this early in the game, the tool would be a little bit more restrictive. I don't have the nausea issues when I over-consume. And while I do get a full alot sooner and quicker, it doesn't hold as nearly as I thought it would.  Yes, I take my prescribed anti-acid/ulcer meds-my Dr actually prescribed 2 different ones. So its not an issue of acid churning. It's my old frenemies hunger and satiety aggravating the crap out of me!!!

Thank you for sharing your issue!! Thank you so much !

~Regena from SC: /Surgery Weight 317/Highest Weight 321

laura_teach
on 8/18/12 9:37 am - Tomball, TX
VSG on 08/07/12
Hey sister from another mister... LOL I am glad to see someone who is very similar to me. I know this whole hunger thing is getting me. I have had 3 days now that I have cheated at some point. I did the cheese twice and then last night I did a very liquidy scrambled egg. Made it to mush and it went down fine and was good.

I know what you are saying about this being a tool but was hoping for at first a little more. My friends that had this surgery said that they didnt even want to eat for the first 4-5 months. I was thinking, great that will really help me but no I am hungry. These friends also have true eating issues they were the type to eat entire bags of things ever day and I thought if it helped them stop wanting to eat at first then it should do it for me. Now I am like ahhhh. We will get through this sister. :) 

Emilyr0011
on 8/16/12 7:52 am
Ok, a couple of things you said have thrown up some red flags to me-

First, you're so early out I still think it's acid and not hunger...your stomach is still healing, and frankly it will take quite a few more months. It's only been a week, are you certain it's not acid?

And I'm very surprised your surgeon told you that you needed sugar...that alone can trigger hunger if it is hunger. The Gatorade is also very high in sugars, I feel Powerade Zero would be a much better choice. Sugar really is a no-no according to many weight-loss surgeons. With being early out, hydration Is the most important right now, I just don't want to see you take the sugar habit on into weight loss as it could really inhibit your loss in the future.

Great losses so far!

H - 5'4" SW 260 / CW 133 / GW 150 GOAL in 9 mo 11 days!

laura_teach
on 8/18/12 9:41 am - Tomball, TX
VSG on 08/07/12
yeah I thought it was weird to when I saw that other ppl said their doctors said no sugar things. On my papers and what they told me in person they told me to have sugar jello and sugar popsciles. The gatorade I added after I called my NUT and was telling her how I felt after being outside. She said I needed the salt and to get Gatorade. I only drink a little of it a day. I have above the daily amount of water each day. We will see I go monday for my first post op appt so I will let everyone know what he says.
Beckster247
on 8/16/12 9:11 am
I watched a video on youtube and the doctor discussed the hunger issue. He stated that when your stomach is irritated you will feel hungry. Talk with the nutritionist and see what you can do during this time.

Most Active