Grilled Black Bean Salsa

Keith L.
on 10/20/12 1:52 am, edited 10/20/12 2:13 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
I made this last night to put on my eggs today. It was wicked easy and tasted really good. Thougth I would share it with all of you:

2 Tomatoes
1 Jalapeño 
1 Sweet Onion (or Yellow Onion)
1 Bunch of Fresh Cilantro
1 Can Black Beans (Low Sodium) Rinsed
1 Tsp Cumin
Salt
Pepper  

Rinse Tomatos and Jalapeno and pat dry Peal outer skin of onion and cut in half Put Tomato, Jalapeño, and onion in large zip lock bag along with 2 Tbs of olive oil. Close bag and shake, rub around so that the veggies are all coated  

Heat grill on high (you can also do this in an oven on 475 with a cookie sheet and a rack) place vegetables on grill and grill until they start to soften and blacken, turn vegetables to get them darkened on all sides.  

Using tongs on a cutting board trim ends of of Jalapenos (if you don't like a lot of spice cut open and remove the seeds and the ribs) and core the tomatoes and cut to fit in to a food processor (or blender). Blend to consistency you desire (I like mine a *****unky) and pour into a bowl.   

Chop Cilantro and remove any large stems (you could also just add the cilantro to the food processor when you mix the other stuff.   

Rinse Black Beans  
Add Cilantro and Black Beans to the salsa,   Season with a tsp of Cumin (or more to taste) and salt and pepper.   Stir it up and give it a taste.  

I use this on top of scrambled eggs in the morning. 

If tomatos are out of season, you could get real close to this using fire grilled tomatos from Hunts, Rotel Tomatos and Peppers (mild, med, hot) and some cilantro paste (usually around where the fresh cilantro is). You could make this in about 5 mins.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

kristen D.
on 10/20/12 2:03 am - Middletown, NY
VSG on 09/25/12
sounds so yummy!! I've been putting turkey chili in my egg white omletts! I wish I could eat beans!! it's not on my NUT's plans.. but i would try the rest without the beans!! thanks for sharing!!!

Keith L.
on 10/20/12 2:08 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12
 I am surprised you can't eat beans, especially black beans and lentils both high in protein and fiber. You can always leave the black beans out, still a tasty salsa. If you can have corn, this would be good with corn too.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Missdede
on 10/20/12 2:09 am - Canada
VSG on 10/10/12
 That sounds amazing!  Thank you for the recipe
mimij
on 10/20/12 2:47 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12
Sounds really good. Saving this one for another month from now when I can eat this! Thanks

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

meljac22
on 10/20/12 6:41 am - NE
VSG on 10/09/12
Sounds good.. and easy to make.. Thanks for the recipe !!!
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views