Heartburn..eeek!

ravenbrown
on 10/26/12 6:11 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

I've had really bad heartburn since surgery (not complaining, my recovery has been a breeze).  Unfortunately the Prilosec or Zegerid doesn't last the whole day like it's supposed to.  Is there any reason I can't take two in a day?  It's so bad, the acid feels like it's choking me and it's keeping me up at night.  My doc said to take Maalox, which doesn't help.  The only other time I've ever had heartburn this bad is during pregnancy, but the Prilosec worked then.  Also is this something that might potentially go away with time?  Just curious.  All I've had today are protein shakes and water.  Thank you in advance

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/26/12 6:17 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I am taking Nexium 40 mg once a day. I never had heartburn before surgery nor after. The Nexium is a PPI but my surgeon wants me on it for six weeks for the protection of the stomach lining during healing. Have you asked your doc for a prescription strength PPI?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Kelly-AnneH
on 10/26/12 6:25 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
You may need a different PPI, and if so I'd ask my doctor for a different one to try.

In the short term, something I discovered recently that has helped me a LOT: grinding up my PPI before taking it.

The reason I tried it was that although my GP had prescribed the same PPI that Dr Aceves did, the one from Dr Aceves was granulated - the version available in Canada is a coated tablet. Once crushed it works every bit as well as the granulated version. (But it took 24 hours to get the acid totally under control)

It tastes awful, but I just swallow something else quickly. A moment of nasty is worth going through to not have constant heartburn.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

mimij
on 10/26/12 6:27 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

Ask your doctor if you can take the PPI twice a day for now. I had heartburn in the middle of the night for the first 2 weeks after surgery even while taking Pepcid 20 mg twice per day (that is my doc's Rx). This past week, knock on wood, I haven't experienced any. I hope this is a sign of good things to come. As your weight comes down, that should improve. Are you sleeping on two pillows? Some people I know who have it bad put wooden blocks under the feet of the headboard. Try not eating or drinking for an hour or so before you go to bed also. Good luck.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

Missdede
on 10/26/12 6:50 am - Canada
VSG on 10/10/12

I awoke the other night with acid in my throat.  I contacted my surgeon's office the next morning and they had me add a dose in the evening of my PPI.  Worked like a charm.

bob-h
on 10/26/12 9:07 am - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12

OK I have to ask. WTH is a ppi?  I also have the heartburn and it seems even whatever is in my stomach burns.  Maybe I need some of whatever it is. I have never been bothered by heartburn before. I am only 3 weeks out so maybe it will correct itself.  

Failure  IS NOT  an Option                  

Most Active