What made you choose VSG over RNY?

LNC62
on 11/2/12 2:06 pm - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

I have my first appointment with the surgeon on Monday. I was planning on the sleeve, but now I'm not sure. I'm curious what made you choose VSG over RNY surgery?

Thanks

lee K.
on 11/3/12 4:48 am

Hiya!  I'm only a few days out of surgery and these are my reasons - 

1. less invasive (no re-routing of any inner bits) - i like the fact the my food still follows a natural route

2. laparascopic, easier to heal 

3. although it is tougher long term (takes longer to get to real food), goal is often more successful based on statistics 

4. with RNY, it is easy to pick up weight again as any food you eat can literally go right through you and you can be "hungry" 30 mins later; with the sleeve you feel fuller easier, therefore not going back to bad habits (although it is possible if you push the limits, but you REALLY have to push)

5. cheaper (we paid out of pocket)

6. i looked at before/after pictures and went to a support meeting and found that many RNY'ers had regained some weight

7. at the support group meeting, it was the RNY'ers that were looking for loopholes to eat more; the sleeve'ers(?) had amazing eating habits generally

Hope my reasons help.  I am not in the US so some of my reasons may be a little weird, but these are my reasons.

Blessings on your journey!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/3/12 5:05 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Have a look at this thread. You will find some excellent responses to your question. Also if you use the search feature, this question comes up pretty much weekly!

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/VSG/4580686/sleeve-or-bypass/#37970643

Good luck with whatever you will decide!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views