You know you we're fat when.........

bob-h
on 11/10/12 9:49 pm - Bad Axe, MI
VSG on 10/09/12

I am 5 weeks post op and am down 47 pounds. I am still wearing the same clothes as the next size smaller doesn't fit yet. I was out the other night with people who don't know or has seen me since surgery and not 1 person said a thing  about me looking any different. I was really hoping for somebody to say something so It was actually a little disappointing.  I woke up this morning and said so what. I know that I have lost so screw the world, I am not doing this for them or anybody else, this is for me and me alone. So still no NSV for me but I guess I don't care anymore. enlightened

Failure  IS NOT  an Option                  

sonywife
on 11/10/12 9:52 pm - Elmsdale, Canada
VSG on 10/24/12

I'm 18 days post op. Down 34lbs in the past 2 months. My belly is still swollen so still wearing the same size around my waist. No one ever says anything to me either....oh well. I did it for me and my health not comments from others.

hollirrose
on 11/10/12 10:03 pm
VSG on 04/21/12
I had a higher bmi too... It took 50 lbs to go down one pant size and about 75 lbs for anyone to notice that I had lost weight! I know how disappointing it can be but just hang on. Soon people will notice and you will get compliments out the waszoo and you will blow through pants and shirt sizes in about a month!
Catrina T.
on 11/10/12 10:22 pm
VSG on 05/01/12

Those compliments and NSVs will start pouring in soon. I was probably a "light weight" at the start of my journey compared to a lot of bariatric patients so I can't compare completely. I remember being so discouraged. Took 30lbs to go down a pant size. Once I got passed that compliments started coming in and haven't stopped since. Now a difference of 5-10lbs gets me down a size. And elicits a bunch more Did you lose more weight questions. I also found when I hit a true stall (not one of my own doing) that is when I tend to get the most notice. And when I really see my body slim down and sizes change. It never seems to change with the scale. I think our body just has to say whoa! I need a minute to catch up! Now I am to the point where I want people to stop asking if I lost weight, I get so self concious thinking jeesh. Is everyone doing a mental measurement of my as&. lol!

Great job to you. The clothing sizes WILL catch up to how far you have come and how far you will go, I promise!!!

HW 216 SW 209 CW 153

Wildcat-NYC
on 11/10/12 10:45 pm
VSG on 08/16/12

It took about 40 lbs before people started noticing my loss...I didn't go down in sizes until just recently and I went down more than 1.  Just keep to the plan and good things will happen!

Tracker starting weight = surgery weight    
Nadurra Deb
on 11/10/12 10:49 pm - CO
VSG on 08/06/12

Exactly!! You are doing this for YOU and your health and likely those closest to you that really matter are noticing huge changes and very excited for you. Try not to be angry at people for not noticing just yet. Clearly you are doing GREAT!!! To lose 47 lbs in 5 weeks! When have you EVER done that before?

I am 3 months post-op and have lost 45 lbs which for me is a HUGE percentage of my excess weight (almost half) considering I started at 230 lbs. So you would think surely people would really be noticing the difference and saying something by now. People that know I had the surgery really seem to notice the difference, BUT they are tuned in and looking for the changes. I am down a couple of sizes but for the most part still wearing much the same clothes. I figure I just look like a homeless person right now and really don't look any better anyway. I have expected people who do not know I had surgery to start saying something. But I have not yet had ONE person (outside of those that know) comment or confront me about my weight loss at all. I imagine many have noticed but not enough to feel comfortable saying something. People don't want to offend so they often wait until they are SURE something is different before saying anything.

I think there will come a point for all of us when we really do look THAT much different that people can't help but notice and say something. The average person is really not that aware of how heavy or thin we are one day to the next. They are caught up in their own worlds. If we still appear obese or even overweight at all to them, they don't register the difference even if we lose 50 lbs. It's when people make the shift seeing us as more normal weight individuals that they are the most taken aback. That day will come for you. I promise!

Debbie          

YouTube WLS Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NadurraDeb

lucy2e
on 11/10/12 10:50 pm - Laurel, MD

I feel your pain!  Some men I work with didn't notice the loss until I had lost 100 lbs - lol!  The sizes seemed to stay the same a long time.  But once they start dropping - they will drop rapidly.  People will notice big time too!  I had people who I have known for years not recognize me (it was great fun - the look on their faces - I know you, right? lol)  

Your time is coming - believe me!  In the mean time, let the scale and measurements tell you what people and pants aren't telling you!

Congrats on 47 lbs gone forever!

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

Nadurra Deb
on 11/10/12 10:55 pm - CO
VSG on 08/06/12

ALSO...make sure you are taking pictures of yourself and measuring. That way on those days you just feel fat and like you aren't getting anywhere, you will have reference points to show you your progress.

Debbie          

YouTube WLS Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NadurraDeb

slimpickins5280
on 11/10/12 11:06 pm - CO

Some people don't say anything because they don't know if the weight loss is a good thing or not. Awhile back, I went to a movie with some girlfriends I hadn't seen in months and they never said a word to me. When I went to the bathroom, they asked my sister-in-law if I was trying to lose weight and she said yes. They told HER I looked great, but said nothing to me.

Some people attach weight loss to being a "bad" thing - like an illness. After a few months, when they've seen you feeling more and more healthy and looking strong and better, they'll comment on it.

Don't take it too personally,

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

sleevegirl
on 11/10/12 11:48 pm - Austin, TX

It took 75 pounds and new clothes before anyone really said anything to me that didn't already know. Don't worry... once they start noticing, you'll have the opposite problem and want everyone to shut up already. LOL

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 71 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views