Curious about everyone's recovery story

jan1114
on 11/12/12 12:03 am

I'm still not 100% at peace with this surgery (next week) but I'm also very worried about the recovery and complications that occur.  Please share your first couple days ups and downs.

Laci M.
on 11/12/12 12:20 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I can honestly tell you that my recovery was pretty darn easy.  I was very sore in the hospital (I was in for 2 nights) and I believe most of that pain was from the hernia my surgeon fixed. 

I was still sore where the incisions were and it was a little painful to get in and out of bed for about a week.  After that, most of the hard parts were basically mentally getting into a new mode of eating.  

I know recovery is different for everyone but I was so surprised at how "easy" it seemed.  I was so nervous and anxious and really scared about the surgery, too but compared to my sinus surgery I had earlier this year, I would pick the WLS surgery again and again.

jan1114
on 11/12/12 12:24 am
I've heard sinus surgery is pretty painful. Glad to hear you had an easy recovery. I'm hoping for that too!!
Keith L.
on 11/12/12 12:23 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Mine was pretty easy. I stuck very closely to the pre-op diet. My first night was a little rough, especially when the pain meds wore off. But the next day I was fine. I did vomit up some old blood on one of my walks and a little more the next day but felt great afterward. They key to a good recovery is walking. Start walking the minute you can, wal****il you start to feel tired. Rest repeat. My 2nd day post op my wife and I went out for lunch (well lunch for her). I started drinking as soon as the doctor allowed it and I always had water or gatorade in my hand. As soon as I could start drinking protein I was on it. My wounds were pretty solidly closed when I left the hospital 2 days post op. I drove home from the airport 3rd day post op and was back at work 4th day post op. It was not painless but it wasn't uncomfortable either.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

jan1114
on 11/12/12 12:26 am
I'm hoping for a recovery like yours!! I've never had surgery before so I don't know how to feel about it.
synthangel
on 11/12/12 12:25 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12

I will happily share my story because it went pretty well. I was really scared and nervous. It was VERY encouraging for me to read other peoples successful journies beforehand.

I would say stuff went very smooth for me. I was sched to be at the hospital at 7:15am, surgery was at 8am and lasted about an hour. I had a bad reaction to anesthesia when I woke up I was yelling and screaming (have no idea why but apparently it happens to some people) other than that it was smooth sailing.

I have 6 incisions, the one the took the stomach from hurt the worse. I had a lot of gas (not shoulder gas thankfully!) The gas can hurt pretty bad. But all you have to do is get moving and it comes right up. I walked with a pillow held at my left incision and that made getting around a lot easier. I could walk faster and longer with the pillow which helped the gas come out!

I just drank water for the 24 hours after surgery, I could not stomach the apple juice (I think it was the sugar).

I only took the liquid loratab for 1.5 days after leaving the hospital then switched to childrens liquid motrin for a couple days then no meds to deal with it, By a week out I was almost at 100% and now I pretty much am :)

BTW I think the loratab was making my stomach upset and possibly causing constipation so thats why I got off of them right away. 

jan1114
on 11/12/12 12:30 am
I really need to hear these kinds of stories!! I'm such a big baby and am probably just over thinking things. By my actual surgery date ill probably be insane!!
synthangel
on 11/12/12 1:06 am - NV
VSG on 11/02/12
On November 12, 2012 at 8:30 AM Pacific Time, jan1114 wrote:
I really need to hear these kinds of stories!! I'm such a big baby and am probably just over thinking things. By my actual surgery date ill probably be insane!!

I was really calm and serene almost to the point of being creepy lol I totally thought I would be more nervous/scared on the day of. My attitude was more like OK LETS DO THIS!

cozmo98
on 11/12/12 12:30 am - GA

This was the easiest thing I have ever done!

My surgery was around 6am. I had my gallbladder removed and a hernia repair at the same time. I was in slight pain when I first woke up and they gave me some pain meds. Once I woke up in mid afternoon after sleeping off the meds I woke up ready to go walking! I was sore and swollen a little but none of it hurt. If anything the most annoying thing was the wounds itching as they healed and not being able to scratch them. I went home around 7pm that night I was feeling so good (didn't even stay over night like originally planned). I Never took any pain meds once I went home I was perfectly fine! I got up the next day drank my shakes very slowly and went for a walk. I couldn't walk far the first week because I was tired and didn't want to over do it but I never hurt. I'd do it again in a heartbeat...it has changed my life and I was worried about surgery for NOTHING!

jan1114
on 11/12/12 12:32 am
Wow you had a lot going on and still did well. Thank you for sharing. Right now I need a lot of positivity!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 131 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 388 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 421 views