Off the wall question

dcsabrina
on 11/23/12 11:05 am - MD
So, maybe this is a stupid question, but are the sleeve staples visible using those x-ray body scanning machines that many airports are using now? I would guess not, but can anyone tell me for sure?

Lap band July 2008, revised to VSG November 2012.

Keywester
on 11/23/12 11:07 am
VSG on 12/05/12

LOL - that was one of the things I asked my surgeon if they would set the metal dector off.  Who knows?

Laura

cece58
on 11/23/12 11:25 am - CA

They will be visible in certain xrays but not the airport scanners. If you get a body scan or xray at the hospital it will show up.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us"
Lisa

Italian-Princess
on 11/24/12 4:01 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

It's not a stupid question at all.  Since I travel frequently, it was one of the first non-surgery questions I asked my surgeon.  He assured me that the staples will NOT set off the beeps going through airport security.  I haven't tested it yet, but I believe him.  I'll know for sure in January when I start traveling again.  The thing that got me wondering and why I asked him the question is that sometimes those scannersd wands are set too low and the hooks on my bra would set off the beeping LOL  At least they didn't ask me to take off my bra like they have asked the spouse to take off his belt!

Ree

(deactivated member)
on 11/24/12 11:47 am
VSG on 06/04/12

I flew in October to Florida and had to go through both the regular scanner and the full body scanner and was not questioned at all.  Actually thought it was interesting that I wasn't asked anything because I had forgotten that I had my FitBit attached on my bra.

Most Active