Anyone use AFLAC supplement insurance?

LNC62
on 12/4/12 4:34 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
In addition to health ins, I have some policies throuh work with Aflac. Kne is a hospital and one is a special event policy. I notice that the policy will pay $500 for a partial gastrctomy and $1,000 for a full gastrectomy. I think that is in addition to the amount it pays per day in the hospital.

Has anyone had experience with Aflac?
amanda_garcia
on 12/4/12 5:43 am - AZ
VSG on 07/19/12

Hi,

I also have several Aflac policies. One is the hospital indemnity plan, another is a cancer policy, which I hope to never need :), and the third is the accident plan. I filed a claim under the hospital indemnity plan for my surgery and my 2 night hospital stay but they were denied. I was told that Aflac specifically excludes all bariatric surgeries. I'm curious to know, which of your policies is paying out for the surgery.

LNC62
on 12/4/12 7:58 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
I haven't had surgery yet but I was revewing the hospital policy and noticed it pays for gastrectomy. I looked through the exclusions and didn't see one for bariiatrics. I think I would apeal if denied.
MuttLover
on 12/4/12 9:28 am
VSG on 11/14/12

I suggest you call them and ask specifically about the surgery you are having, and what consititutes a partial gastrectomy (seems like the sleeve would) -- but if they have an exclusion for bariatric surgery, that means they would include the partial gastrectomy only for other medical reasons besides weight loss (like cancer). 

If it's through your employer, it may be tailored to your employers specifications.  Also, make sure you have had the insurance long enough that you are not in a waiting period. 

It's better to call first and know for sure.  

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

Bella_Fein
on 12/4/12 10:42 am - TX
VSG on 02/18/13

I would call them. My thoughts are that gastrectomy surgery isn't always done for WL. They could pay for that type of surgery but exclude it for bariatric reasons.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

JAlston
on 12/4/12 11:10 am
VSG on 12/07/12

Definitely call them and ask directly about exclusions or for a copy of the policy/booklet. I work in insurance and hear plenty of nightmare stories of people who have AFLAC coverage and their high denial rate. Unfortunately, they tend to be a cheaper rate company and sometimes that is just more appealing, but not really when it doesn't work in your benefit. Certainly call and ask them what it actually does or does not cover and if you still don't feel confident, ask for it in writing. 

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

LNC62
on 12/4/12 1:40 pm - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

I will definately get on them.  If there's no exclusion, at least none that I saw, they have to cover or face a bad faith lawsuit.  I work in insurance claims (medical malpractice) so I'm aware of how policies work.  I'm just wondering if anyone had experience with Aflac.  I've never sent a claim but I sure plan to after this procedure.

amanda_garcia
on 12/6/12 4:31 am - AZ
VSG on 07/19/12

Other than the denial of my claims for this surgery I have never had a bad experience with Aflac. Actually, I think they are great! Kudos to you if your policy pays for the surgery

LNC62
on 12/6/12 5:53 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
What reason did they give for denying your surgery? Was therw a bariatric exclusion or was you surgery within 12 months of starting your aflac policy?
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views