Worried about hair loss

iwant2bethin
on 12/6/12 8:16 pm

Can any women share their experience with hair loss post VSG?  I'm only about 2 weeks post op but wanted to know when the hair loss occurs and how much are we talking about?  Also what helps to reduce or prevent it if anything?  

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/12 10:10 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

You can't prevent it. About half of VSG patients suffer from it, so to begin you have a 50/50 chance of not having any loss. If you do experience hair loss everyone has varying degrees. Some people take Biotin to make it "better" including myself, although frankly I don't think it does anything but soothe me psychologically. 

I started losing hair at about 2 1/2 months, which is sooner than some. My nutritionist said upping your protein can help. I have yet to see that. I'm now 6 months out and it's starting to slow down. I don't worry about it anymore because at 4 months I had hair extensions put in and my hair looks better now than before. enlightened I wouldn't sweat it too much. Hair loss happens, but I haven't heard of anyone going bald from it. 

KELLY H.
on 12/6/12 10:57 pm - Greenbrier, TN
VSG on 12/26/12

I am extremely worried about it too but I've read a ton of posts about it here and it seems to be inevitable for most of us.  I have very long (to my waist) thick hair and it's my one vanity.  I know it will grow back and frankly, I'd go bald if I had to to lose the weight but it'll be sad nonetheless. 

I read some where that it wasn't due to protein and vitamin deficiency but hormones that are released with rapid weight loss. 

rad2995
on 12/6/12 11:11 pm - TN

I have experienced considerable hair loss about 3 1/2 months post op.  It lasted for 3 weeks.  I began taking Biotin two weeks after my surgery just in case hair loss occurred and was ahead of the game.  I have new hair coming in all over my head and even though my hair is thin in some areas...the new growth is compensating for it.  No matter what... a temporary hair loss is worth it for the weight loss.

beach_mama
on 12/6/12 11:34 pm
VSG on 08/16/12

My surgeon recommended taking Zinc tablets for hair loss.  I forget the dosage right off but take it faithfully.  I'm currently four months out and just starting to lose a little more hair now...yikes

emelar
on 12/7/12 1:38 am - TX

Google "telogen effluvium" and the whys of the hairloss will be explained.  It's strictly hit and miss on who experiences it and how bad it gets.  Basically, the hair that you lose at 2-6 months died at surgery or shortly thereafter and is just then being pushed out.  There's not anything you can do to prevent it.  Biotin supplements and nioxin treatments will help your hair come back nice and shiny, but it won't prevent the hair loss and doesn't speed up the growth. 

All you can do is wait and see whether it strikes, how bad it is, and do what you can to get through to the hair re-growth phase.  Usually, a shorter, layered cut is all that's needed to disguise the loss - and, frankly, we notice it a lot more than anyone else does.  My hairdresser was the only other person who noticed my thinning hair.  And it's all grown back now!

SoSoHappy
on 12/7/12 2:12 am - CA
VSG on 04/09/12

At the 4 month mark, I started to lose my hair in a BIG way.  I really thought I was going to go bald.  I started taking biotin and I limited the hair washing to twice a week because when I brushed it wet it came out in brush loads.  At 7 months, the hair loss stopped and the new hair started to grow in.  Take your supplements and get in all the protein.  This too will pass.

Kelly-AnneH
on 12/7/12 2:26 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
My hair started to fall out at 4 months. My hair is fine and thinnish to start with, so seeing hairs all over my hands while showering was a bit upsetting. HOWEVER - I knew it was likely to happen and that the hair would grow back after a few months, so had already bought "Great Hair Day" which is sort of makeup for your scalp. It's a compact with a powder cake that comes in colours for various hair colours. (My hair is medium brown with some grey - I bought the salt and pepper one)

You part your hair in the thinning areas and lightly brush the stuff onto your scalp. When you're done with that (only takes a minute to do) just style your hair normally. I'm amazed at how well it works - no more shiny pink scalp showing through thin hair. It stays in place until the next time you wash your hair.

I found it on eBay.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

iwant2bethin
on 12/14/12 8:16 pm

Thank you all for your replies!  I guess hair loss is a small price to pay for health and looking good :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 110 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 335 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 385 views