Too much restriction in the morning and afternoon. Not enough restriction in the evening and...

jarabacoagirl
on 1/17/13 1:57 am
VSG on 12/17/12

I'm 1 month post op today.  I have this problem that I can get barely anything down before dinner time.  Maybe a protein shake and water.  Maybe 2 oz yogurt to get my Actigall down.  But I have to force it down.   I don't feel like I can eat like solid food at all and when I say solid food I mean stage 4 foods (soft)  such as fish, cheese or eggs.  I feel is though if I eat earlier on I will throw up.

Than come dinner time my sleeve wants to eat every 1.5 hours there after until I go to bed which is very late since I have insomnia.  Something is wrong with this picture.  I'm ending up getting too many calories for only 1 month post op. 

I'm averaging about 800 a day.  (I log on MFP)  But others at this time are only averaging about 500-600 a day and are able to eat earlier on. 

Any advice for this moody sleeve?

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

Shagdoll
on 1/17/13 2:57 am

I mostly drank protein shakes in the morning when I was early out like you.  It was easy & I found some I really loved plus, you get in plenty of protein early in the day. 

I still have more restriction in the mornings than the evenings.  I wish I could turn that around because I tend to go to bed late; not out of choice but I'm just a busy gurl.  I rely on that extra restriction in the mornings.  It allows me to keep my meals lower in calories than later in the day.  Works for me!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

jarabacoagirl
on 1/17/13 3:06 am
VSG on 12/17/12

Okay than it's normal.  I was worried.  I wi**** was in reverse too cause I'm have insomnia also not by choice.  So even though I'm still only eating 2 oz at a time I end up eating all my 2oz  5 meals at dinner and after til around 2 or 3 am.    I'm worried when I'm further out and can fit more that's gonna be dangerous.  But yes pretty much the only thing i'm able to fit earlier in the day it the shake and water.  (maybe a 2 oz yogurt maybe)   Like this AM I have so much restriction I had a hard time getting my meds and vitamins down.  I am getting enough protein in around 80 grams and staying fairly low carb (usually).   Sometimes a little over the 40 but I think once I can eat dense protein that will get better.  

HW 302 lbs SW  279.8 lbs.  CW  193.8 lbs   MFP Jarabacoagirl  Preop diets 22.2 lbs, 1st month 21.2 lbs, 2nd month 14.6 lbs,  3rd month 11.2 lbs, 4th month 7 lbs, 5th month 7 lbs, 6th month 6.8 lbs, 7th month 5.2 lbs, 8th month 4.4 lbs 9 and 10th months slowed down didn't record exactly

108.2 lbs lost from highest weight!

(86.2 lbs of that was lost since surgery date)

Shagdoll
on 1/17/13 3:17 am

Definitely incorporate as much dense protein as you can later on when you can.  It's low in calories & super high in protein.  Even now if I feel the need to eat something because I am up late, I will almost always eat something like a piece of chicken breast or left over fish.  Cottage cheese & plain greek yogurt will fill me up too.  Good luck!!!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

JAlston
on 1/17/13 4:04 am
VSG on 12/07/12

I just requested you on MFP. I am 6 weeks post op tomorrow so it may help to see what others around your date are eating. I am on soft foods now. I am not able to return to what my surgeon calls a regular diet until 9 weeks. I still don't feel restriction so I am eating based on a schedule knowing that I need to.

Good luck to you!

Jessica  

(HW: 305)  (SW: 271.9) (33.1 lbs lost prior to surgery) (MsJexi on MFP)

emelar
on 1/17/13 4:11 am - TX

All these things tend to change in time.  Work with what you have.

Get some protein in first thing in the morning - 20g worth if you can.  Other than that, if eating later works for you, shift your eating to the later hours.  WHEN you eat really doesn't matter other than that first meal (and I've totally forgotten the reason why it's important first thing, but I've been told that by my dietitian, PA, and trainer - so it MUST be true!  ).  If you're getting hungry too soon, try drinking and, if you're not on one, take an acid reducer (pepcid) or PPI (prilosec/nexium) and see if that helps.  Sometimes "hunger" is either dehydration or acid.

slatond
on 1/17/13 10:42 pm

Thanks for your post!!!! I am 8 mo out and my experience is similar to yours. I am not 100% sure I feel that much restriction in the AM... But I drink my protein RTD in the AM and really don't think or care about food. But abt 5PM that changes and I could eat every 1.5 hours like you mentioned. It has been hard for me to understand because prior to VSG I was the exact OPPOSITE. I never ate in the evening after dinner.

Some things that work some of the time: (1) Like you mentioned dense protein helps. (2) Sometimes a cup of hot tea will stop the hunger monster. (3) I also keep bottle water w/ me in the evening and sip. ( adding Crystal Light sometimes if I am in the mood for sweet taste) (4) Walking in the evening. My Daughter plays soccer and if I walk the whole time she is practicing then I have a much better evening of controlling my hunger.

However, I am definitely open to MORE tricks. I do try to plan my meals and follow the plan. But some days are just plain hectic, tricks aren't working and I graze... UGHH! I do graze on "ok" stuff. ( cheese / beef jerky / yogurt / veggies)... but would like to eliminate this grazing.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 275 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views