5 weeks out and weight loss slowed, what were your numbers?

Tami1982
on 1/29/13 3:20 am

I think I got spoiled by losing so much so quickly at first.  Now the numbers are hardly moving and I'm getting really discouraged.  Yes, I know, discouraged pretty quickly, call me a wuss.  Can people who were around my size give me some feedback on what their weight loss looked like?   It just slipped off almost daily at first and now it's crawling by. I'm 5'6" female and 30 years old. 

261 -VLCD

257 - Surgery date

234.8 - This morning

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/29/13 3:29 am
VSG on 10/09/12
What does your typical food day look like? Are you tracking? Water consumption? Exercise? Stalls happen...but tell us what you are eating/drinking and there may be some specific advice as to how to get things moving again.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Tami1982
on 1/29/13 3:47 am

One thing I am fighting is getting to 64 oz of water.  Once I've eaten I don't want to drink for probably 90 minutes.  So what I've been doing is drinking as much as I can when I wake up before breakfast  and then after dinner drinking as much as I can before bed.  And sipping throughout day, but am and pm are when I am getting most of the water.  That has been a real adjustment for me - I used to easily pound 120oz or more a day.  I'd drink 4 water bottles during a four hour work shift!  I'm getting average 40 oz, I'm pushing hard for more though.  

Here is an example of my day: 

1 cup milk w/ Unjury strawberry

1/2 cup cottage cheese

1/4 cup diced chicken with 2 tbsp gravy & 1/4 cup veggie (broccoli/squash/whatever)

1/4 cup egg beater w/ 1/8 cup black beans and 1tbsp hot sauce and a sprinkle of cheese and a few spinach leaves. 

It changes, but that's pretty accurate.  I drink the protein and eat cottage cheese every day.  I eat very few carbs/bread because 3 bites of that and I can't eat anything else.  No rice/pasta either.  I have potato soup once in a while.  

Tami1982
on 1/29/13 3:49 am

I am exercising 3 times a week by walking on my treadmill and peppering in a bike ride occasionally.  I'm walking 25-45 minutes on average.  Sometimes more, sometimes less.  When on the treadmill I use the arms or add 3lb free weights.  I have a full weight machine/gym in my house, but my doc said I could use it until 6 weeks out. 

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 1/29/13 4:49 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I think you are just rebuilding glycogen stores and your stall will break soon. Your food that day looks OK too. I cut the milk out...it was an easy thing for me to ditch as I was only having it in the protein coffee and it tasted just fine with jus****er too. I also don't eat beans - maybe had them twice in the last 4 months. Same with potato (soup or otherwise). Are you on myfitnesspal.com? If you are, browse people's food diaries. If you aren't, join! It is a great tool. And drink drink drink...as someone here once put it, drin****il your eyeballs swim. I was never much of a drinker before and it has been hard getting in the minimum 64 oz every day but you gotta do it. I did close to 80 today and am really happy about that. Keep plugging away at it! You will find your groove and I am sure the weight will start dropping soon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

ravenbrown
on 1/29/13 4:59 am - TX
VSG on 10/08/12

You can't really compare because everybody is different, but we started out much the same.  I'm 5'6 and 31 years old.  I'm not sure what what numbers you're looking for, but here is my breakdown:

Pre-op diet - 13lbs

1M: 20lbs

2M: 19lbs

3M: 12lbs

Current month (10days left): 8.4lbs - been in a pause for two weeks, but dropping lots of inches

I'd suggest drinking more water. The more you drink, the more you'll want to drink it.  I know some people have difficulties with it post surgery, but you have to do it.  Flavor it if necessary.  40 ounces isn't enough.  You need to flush out your body.  And take your measurements.  You might notice that you're losing inches when that evil scale isn't moving.  If it was me, I'd cut out the potato soup and anything that wasn't really fueling me.  My capacity is still very small, so my focus is always lean protein & hydration.  If I have any extra room after my pre-measured protein, it's green veggies (green beans, leafy greens, broccoli, etc).  I do a protein shake to make sure I'm getting at least 80g of protein a day. 

Tami1982
on 1/30/13 11:15 am

Thank you ravenbrown!  That is exactly what I was looking for.  Just trying to see how I compared to people in my bracket - if I was slower/faster/on par with everyone. I really appreciate the feedback!

Living4MyBabySon
on 1/29/13 8:28 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12
Hey, I'm 6 weeks out and I am having a weird pattern that fluctuates. I keep going up a couple pounds then down one. but overall: 16 pounds lost pre op 27 since surgery 43 pounds total. Haven't lost anything in 4 days. I am 5'9 31 Years old

Tami1982
on 1/30/13 11:20 am

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback and information.  I'm fighting SO hard to get tha****er it.  I chug it as much as I can in the morning before I eat.  In order to get that 32 oz in I am starting to not eat until 12:30.  Once I eat, and I don't want to drink.  And I find as the day goes on, the more I drink the more acidic my stomach feels. Which then makes me want to eat so that there is something in there, which makes me not want to drink - and I'll go 2 hrs with no beverage.  Today I've gotten 58 oz in so far, almost to the 64, but all I've eaten is 1/2 cup at lunch and 1/4 cup tonight.  If I want to drink more water, there will be no more food in.  This is a tightrope!   

I did weigh in at 232.2 this morning.  I finally looked up how to use my fancy scale and it gave me the following: 

Body fat: 39.9%  (I can vaguely remember seeing that over 50% at some point in my history.) 

Bone percentage as 7.3% (which is a little high I think.)

Water: 43.9% - which is low, should be more like 60% I guess. 

And a BMI of 36.4

Has anyone found these kinds of numbers helpful as gauges or have any thoughts on them? 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 276 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views