5 days post of and social anxiety now?

ladydisuperior
on 2/2/13 6:53 am

I had surgery Monday, 1/28.  I would say it went well.  Off pain meds pretty much right away and no big problems.  Every once in a  while it feels like my stomach cramps for a couple of seconds.  I knew it would be hard to get the liquid in, but I'm struggling!  Trying so hard, but haven't made the goal of 64 oz of water or 50 grams of protein yet.  The protein drinks I did have, now want to make me throw up.  I've been to the store several times trying different ones and now have wrote some names down that other people on this blog use and am going to the store again to hunt them down. 

I haven't read from anyone about getting back into life ...  specifically, I have anxiety about going back to work in another week, scared to go to public places where there are a lot of people and my friends hang out.  I think it's a mind game.  I think once I get out there and everyone sees me it will be better, right??  Am I pushing myself to early to get out in the world again?  Anyone else experience this type of anxiety?

SweetJanee
on 2/2/13 7:39 am
VSG on 03/26/13
Hola happy to hear u r sleeved n feeling ok. I HAVE NOT HAD MY SURGERY YET :) BUT soon :D anywhoo I watched a video this a.m. that I liked n I keep saying I'm going to remember this stuff ie. Stalls just sip sip walk rest repeat n personally I say the most IMPORTANT PYRAYER, Imo of course. So go check this videoif u r interested misssgretafication on youtube most recent video shes so straight up :) God bless u on your journey -Janeen
LNC62
on 2/2/13 9:09 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

I'm not sure what the big deal is.  The only difference between you pre surgery and post surgery is that you can't eat like you used to.  If you're worried about how to handle eating,or partying, your friends will understand that you can't eat the way you used to.  If they don't understand, who cares, you are taking care of yourself.  Carry protein shakes with you and a shaker bottle or just order water or tea if you aren't eating.  Either way, how you eat is no one's business but yours.  It's about getting together with friends and family.  You'll find that you can have just as much fun without eating.  For now you probably have no desire to eat anyway so it's even easier.  A couple weeks post op I went to an annual potluck with my high school friends.  Out of 9 of us, only one knew I had surgery.  When I got there, I told them about it.  Most of them didn't even ask questions.  The conversation took about 3 minutes out of the entire night and then we just laughed and talked like we usually do.  Mind you, we graduated in 1980 and they've seen me gain and lose, gain and lose again, large amounts of weight, so it probably didn't phase them that I took such a drastic measure to get rid of the excess weight. 

gorditabonita
on 2/2/13 10:26 am - Springfield, VA
VSG on 01/23/13 with

I think, the more you get out and act "normal" again, the better you feel. I always try to have "my food" with me when I am around my family - lots of water and protein shakes - and that helps. I have not gone back to work yet, but I must admit, I am looking forward to that.

I am skipping some of my favorite events like the SuperBowl party and our traditional Oscar party ( will do something small at home), only because being surrounded by all of that food and still being on liquids would be like torture.

My best advice is to take baby steps. Try small outings first....Good luck!

HW - 287 (12/2007); GW - 165; CW - 164....proudly wearing a size 8!On my journey from LapBand to VSG.....LapBand on 12/19/07, LapBand removal on 8/8/12 and sleeve on1/23/13! Consider joining me at Band2Sleeve!( http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Band2Sleeve/)  Friend me on MyFitnessPal too! I'm gorditabonita74.

sunny_disposition
on 2/2/13 9:23 pm - Miami, FL
VSG on 01/28/13

I was also sleeved 1/28.  I haven't been out with my friends yet either and if definitely something I'm concerned about, as most activities seem to center around food or even more likely, alcohol.  I've only told one friend and don't plan on telling the rest. Its been giving me some real anxiety, however, i dont want to avoid them forever! I'm hoping once we get out there, the initial step will be the hardest, and eventually, our new lifestyle will just become the norm, what's expected. I think 5 days would be sort of soon, but maybe next weekend! 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views