Regular Post-Op Leak Tests?

MrsPapaBear
on 3/7/13 8:57 am

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of a doc (or a patient for that matter) scheduling regular (maybe weekly...) barium swallows post-op just in case there is a leak to catch once swelling goes down? 

Would the x-ray exposure be too much? Would it be cost prohibitive? What would be the reason behind this not being somewhat standard procedure?

It just seems to me that early leak detection is one of the best ways to prevent major sepsis & other leak damage, so regular monitoring would be sensible...

anonymous_one
on 3/7/13 9:04 am
with

I read that only 1% of patients experience leaking. Perhaps the insurance companies consider it excessive to test frequently for such a rare occurrence. However if your physician shares concerns you could arrange self pay, but they are cost prohibitive. 

MrsPapaBear
on 3/7/13 9:26 am

I suppose I was just thinking that the things those who make up the 1% go through are terrible enough to merit spending the extra money ($1000 if you go every ten days for 7 weeks at $136 a pop...).  I know that leaks are my major source of trepidation as I research the procedure, and I know I'm not alone.

Has anybody else felt this way? And acted on it? Has anyone had regular barium swallows to monitor for leaks?

lucy2e
on 3/7/13 9:30 am - Laurel, MD

I had to swallow that barium stuff once - don't think they could have ever coaxed me into doing it again!

The other indications of a possible leak would make it pretty clear of a problem quickly - fever, pain nausea... I wouldn't want that much exposure to radiation.

Lucy  (Imma Loser!)
  LilySlim Weight loss tickers                  
HW 335 SW 311 CW 181.2 -- Goals:  Twoderville - 6/7/11, 280 - 7/1/11, 260 - 8/1/11, 240 - 10/30/11 Centry Club - 11/22/11, 220 - 12/27/11 Onederland - 5/25/12, 180 - , 170 (surgeons goal) -  
We shall see where this leads...  

tigerbelle
on 3/7/13 11:18 am - LA
VSG on 05/06/13

The fear of a leak is my biggest fear about the surgery itself...I do keep telling myself that the rate is low--1-2% I believe, but I am one of those prepare-for-the-worst kind of people, plus I keep thinking with my diabetes and slow-healing, I will be at a higher risk than usual for a leak...even if you were to self-pay, I don't think there are too many doctors who would approve/order weekly tests like that...I do think the possible negative effects of such frequent testing would not justify catching a leak early...from what I've read, you would know pretty quickly if you had a leak (nausea, pain, vomiting), but of course I don't know of this personally or of anybody I know personally who has experienced a link...for myself, I am just going to put my faith in God and just do my part by following post-op orders as strictly as possible

pineview01
on 3/7/13 11:23 am - Davison, MI

I would double check the leak rate of your surgeon.  Ours has only had two sleeve patients with leaks and they were two of there first four patients.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 3/7/13 12:12 pm, edited 3/7/13 12:35 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

So, if you went every 10 days for a leak test and a leak showed up what would be the difference than in not going for the test and a leak happens?.  Testing for a leak won't prevent one if it's going to happen to you and would be pretty cost prohibitive.  My surgeon doesn't even do the barium swallow, he tests while you are still in surgery.

I agree with others who have posted that the best prevention is to find a surgeon with a low leak rate.

MrsPapaBear
on 3/7/13 2:18 pm

I can agree with you about choosing a surgeon with a low leak rate. 

However, I do still think there is serious merit in catching a leak before you are in the throes of its effects. 

Regarding the X-ray exposure, one chest X-ray is equal to 3-4 hours outside on any given day according to the "experts", so not worried about that. Stomach-turning barium - that is something I would consider.

InnerMe
on 3/16/13 4:15 pm

Hi there!

I know it's been a while since you asked this but I'm an x-ray tech so I couldn't resist answering. The radiation exposure time for a chest x-ray is measured in milliseconds while the radiation exposure time for a barium swallow is measured in minutes. The exact amount of radiation used varies but the exposure is much, much more then just a chest x-ray so you wouldn't want that exam unless your doc really felt you need it.

I was sleeved one year ago, no barium swallow, no leak and at goal! Good luck to you!

Heather

54 lbs lost pre-op, VSG 3/16/12   
MrsPapaBear
on 3/17/13 1:03 am
Thank you! I know most of us aren't experts here, but this is exactly the kind of fact-based answer I was hoping for!

And congrats on reaching goal!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 168 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 444 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 464 views