need help overcoming "buyers remorse" at 3 weeks out

Tnull
on 3/18/13 12:14 am

Good thoughts heading your way!  Hope you feel better soon!

Tia T.
on 3/18/13 12:55 am
.BB u)The one thing I do get in is the water. I sip ice water all day long. The straw incident was from getting an ice water at a gas station. I had forgotten my bottle so I used a cup from the station. Without thinking I put a lid and straw in it and was sipping on it while I waited in line. By the time I got to my car I realized what I had been doing and immediately took the lid off. Trust me, that will never happen again. I don't eat carbs besides sucking on the occasional orange. I stay 6 by hbbu½ly away from sugar and really don't like sugar free foods. I spent 6 months visiting this site while I did the required wait, I knew about many things. But the pain of the recover was/is not talked about.
                                Looking for my inner peace

Jackie T.
on 3/18/13 2:45 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Hang in there Tia!  I know you might not think so right now, it will get better.  You might want to lay off the oranges because of the acids.  As you get to go on regular foods, you need to experiment.  Hamburger hurts my stomach but I can eat every other kind of meat.  I just keep trying the hamburger and it is getting better.  Your new tummy went through a lot and it is temperamental right now.  If there is a hobby that you have wanted to start and/or you use to like, try picking it up right now to get your mind onto something else.  I don't know if you are just sitting around at home alone right now but try and get out at least for a little while each day.  I hope your pain goes away soon but make sure you report it to your doctor.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

Shagdoll
on 3/18/13 1:55 am

I had no buyer's remorse but I did get stubborn with having to take vitamins.  I got all pissy and said I wouldn't do it.  After a few weeks when I started to feel more like myself and I could feel energy coming back along with being 20 pounds lighter, I decided I needed to do what I needed to do to make the most of this WL journey by embracing it & taking care of myself.  I decided I wanted to take all the vitamins I needed.  I also still get hungry, pretty much after week 3 which sucks but I deal with it by doing my best to eat dense proteins like chicken which can fill me up for hours.  I eat fast but have a hard time burping & I wish I could burp.  The pain you feel in your tummy is probably from you either eating too fast or too much so early out.  I could barely eat 2 spoonfuls of pureed food at 2-3 weeks out & it seemed freaking weird that it was all I was able to eat at the time.  Things will get better.  I feel & eat more like a normal person at 18 months out.  Hang in there!! 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

LVeronica
on 3/18/13 2:04 am

I am only about three weeks out, but also noted some indigestion and burping.  I was eating way to fast.  If I take 20 minutes to eat my 2-3 oz of soft food I do much better.  They told me not to drink with meals, but I find that water with meals also helps eliminate the indigestion and burping.  I can't really help with not feeling satisfied.  I am not ever hungry.  I hope that feeling lasts forever.  It is very liberating.  I find the relative lack of variety of foods to be boring and not very satisfying at times, as in: what, you mean I can't have the fried pickles and a margarita at Karaoke!  I guess I can live with that kind of lack of satisfaction.   

dot4you
on 3/18/13 2:39 am - CA

At 5 year post-op I tell everyone thinking about getting this surgery a couple of things:

1.) Your "love affair with food is over". You will mourn this relationship for at least 6 months.

2.) Take your vitiams no matter what. ( I found out the hard way how wrong this can go...animic)

3.) Acid will become a daily thing unless you take something aka Prilosic...

4.) Drink a large glass of water (24-32 oz) (crystal light) every morning before you eat anything. You have lots of room and it goes down fast and easy... you have a jump of your fulids

5.) protein protein protein...just do it, your health depends on it

6.) do some type of exercise...walk, run, swim...whatever your enjoyment might be.

7.) when out eating with friends/family you WILL be the FIRST one finished. @ first I felt "left out of the eating"...now I get busy. Cleaning up enjoying conversation...playing with the children, etc. whatever the food thing is OVER. New life

Wish you the best...all these things will get better. The folks on this site were so helpful to me back in the day. Some things never change :-)

sarapilar
on 3/18/13 4:21 pm
VSG on 02/21/13

LOVE this - I am saving it somewhere safe to review over and over again.  THANK YOU

"The most difficult part of changing how you live and eat is believing that change is possible. It takes a fierce kind of love for yourself."Geneen Roth

dot4you
on 3/19/13 1:18 am - CA

Sarapilar you are so welcome... glad the list can help. xoxo

swizzlequeen
on 3/18/13 6:24 am

Hello Tia,

Props to you for being so honest with us about an issue that I suspect many do experience! I, too, prepared to a fare-thee-well for my surgery (exactly a week ago today!!), and I still find myself asking myself, "what the HECK have I done to myself???")

I am so glad that you are reaching out, because this surgery and its aftermath is NOT something to do alone. If your surgeon's program offers a support group, get involved in that. Go see the surgeon -- let him/her know about your discomforts, especially if you have a new or returning pain! That is what the surgeon is there for! I think that some one-on-one time with a Registered Dietician (or whatever it is called in your state) could be very helpful for helping with issues of food variety and satisfaction. Did your surgeon's program include a dietician? Can you access that person? I finished my 3-month medically supervised diet several months ago, but I am finding it extremely helpful to continue with those appointments. I highly recommend it ...

...and, I also agree that finding a counselor or therapist may also be helpful. You know, there is a big difference between the intellectual understanding I developed as I was researching VSG, and my actual experience of VSG -- an experience that can only be had after the surgery. So, an example of an unexpected -- and somewhat unpleasant -- surprise for me was that I knew before having surgery, that my stomach would not be able to hold much volume after surgery, but, now that the deed is done, I am a bit shocked at how much my stomach feels tight/uncomfortable after I drink a bit of my shake!

Tia, you and I took a risk when we consented to surgery. There is no way around that. There is also no way around the fact that things never turn out to be exactly how we think they will. Just a fact of life. My brother encourages me by saying, "it takes courage to have weight loss surgery!" Tia, you have that courage -- I see it! I think that he is right, it does take courage, but it also takes a sense of perspective -- the big picture, things evolve and change over time -- and it takes a whole lot of support and use of the resources that we have available to us, like our surgeons, and dietiticians, and psychotherapists, and support groups, and the increasing number of excellent books out there about weight loss surgery....as far as perspective goes, it apparently takes many months for the sleeve to "mature" -- and for us to learn how to work with this profound changes in our bodies. When a new baby goes home, he/she may vomit up food, and not sleep thru the nite. His/her parents get thru all of that frustration because they know that the day is coming when Little One's brain will be able to sleep thru the nite, and his/her digestive system will be able to tolerate food more easily. It comes with time. The discomforts of the moment are not what the new lifestyle will be from this moment forward. Parent and baby get to know each other. Patient and sleeve get to know each other. Baby -- and the sleeve-- gets stronger, more tolerant, more skilled at the demands of life. But it does take time! In the meantime, there may be discomfort, regret, uncertainty. All normal, all OK...but, again, it is healthy to talk about it and to reach out for support.

I send you hugs.

Thank you for your honesty.

I agree with you that this isn't easy, but I deeply suspect that it IS worth it.

Hang in there!

Love, Swizzlequeen.

anninva
on 3/18/13 7:59 am - Arlington, VA
VSG on 01/10/11 with

Send HUGS!!!!  I went in to my second doc visit and told the FNP that i wanted to die.  pretty good buyers remorse!  i was misterable until i could eat mushies -- real ground up food made me feel "normal" after all the protein (which i seemed to have an intolerance to) and yogurt, etc.  ti takes a longish time before you really feel "normal" and there are scards of changes, and it's not at all like you think it will be!  well, thats what i discovered!

But . . . it really, truly gets better.  i don't even remember smetimes!  of course, this means that at 2+ years out i have occastionally barfed (yeah, i know . . . ) but it should tell you seomething!  and belive it or not i'm still having the vitiamin hissy fit.  i'm an IDIOT!!!!!!

so, as my mom would say (A LOT): do as i say and not as i do!  take good care, get the freakin' fluids in anyway you can (sounds like you are) and try different temps for the protein as well.  i found the unjury chicken soup stuff palatable b/c it was (1) warm and (2) salty and not sweet!

have faith, chickie!  here to answer questions!

Ann             LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat           

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 287 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 338 views