need help overcoming "buyers remorse" at 3 weeks out

Tia T.
on 3/17/13 8:32 pm
Don't get me wrong: I am very satisfied with my results, as I am down 22 pounds and clothes are too big.
Here are my frustrations
1) I never feel satisfied. Almost every time I put something in my stomach I feel indigestion and my cravings for carbs can be overwhelming. I was not getting my protein as the shakes were making me sick and now in the next phase still not great at getting it in. Trying new foods, and all stay down, just not satisfied. It's hard to put into words.
2) I am tired of always burping.
3) I did not know how bad it would hurt and if I had I would have said no!! The pain was finally going away, but I think I pulled a muscle stitch and it's back to pain town all over again.
3) not getting in vitamins, even though I know I need to. its a mental block that I need to overcome because of a case of the foamies after eating a vitamin one day (the vitamin did not cause them, it was an accidental use of a straw).
wantwant
I don't know how much sense this all makes. All I know is that every time I eat my stomach does not feel good, I am tired of the pain, and I never ever feel satisfied. I want to be happy about the surgery, but I am not. I hate it and am angry at myself for doing it.
Please help!
Tia
                                Looking for my inner peace

LilSleeved
on 3/17/13 8:56 pm

Unfortunately with our much smaller tummies, we have to learn that we may NEVER truly feel that same "satisfaction" with our food, as we did previously.  You're still very early out and that may have something to do with it, BUT I am almost 6 months out with my Sleeve and 4.5 years with my LapBand.  I know the feeling of "missing that feeling of satisfaction" when you've eaten something that tasted really good and you feel that full feeling.  Those days are over for me and I've realized it and come to a NEW NORM.  My satisfaction has to come from other things in my life, like being about to run through a busy airport, sit in the airplane seat without an extender or trying on a sexy pair of heels, a pretty pair of size medium panties or a tight black dress. 

Do I miss the days of ordering a big cheese burger, taking that big first bite and tasting all the deliciousness held between those toasted buns?  Occasionally, but I know that I have had more than my share of big cheese burgers in my lifetime.   It's now time, I that I am satiated with my 2 to 3 oz serving of homemade chile or 2 oz grilled filet mignon.  I now choose quality over quantity.  Taste over bulk.

The burping will resolve most time.  I don't burp as much as I used to - it ended around 2 months post op.  The indigestion is something to talk to your surgeon about.  He can give you a Rx for an antacid and that will help you a lot.  I no longer have indigestion or reflux. 

I eat mostly protein.  I rarely, if ever eat carbs.  I just don't have space for them in my tiny new stomach.  I know, boring diet!  BUT the weight is melting off, I no longer crave carbs and I feel energetic and happy.  If I do slip up and eat even a good carb, i.e. fruit - it makes my cravings return full force.  I have PCOS and carbs are pretty much my enemy during the "losing phase" - I choose to eat less than 20gms of carbs because I know anything more than 20 will make me stall.

As far as vitamins, you have to find something you can and will take.  I have a 2 week pill box.  I put my Vit B's, Vit D, Calcium and multi in there.  It sits in my kitchen and each morning I take it with my cup of "coffee" - The warm coffee helps them go down easier.

About protein shakes.  I had loved the Premier Nutrition for over 4 years as a LapBander, after being Sleeved, I could not stand them.  I've had to trial several different shakes until i finally found one I love.  I only drink protein when I am crazy busy or as a treat in the morning in my "coffee" -  my surgeon only wants me "eating my protein."

Talk to your surgeon about your pain.  Talk to them about your indigestion.  Take it one bite at a time and know that it may take some time to get used to your new life.  Try to remember the reasons you did the surgery.  Write them down someplace where you can see them every day.  Buy yourself something you wanted for a long time - a new pair of shoes or a pretty blouse or pair of panties.  Learn to celebrate your success with things other than food and start looking for satisfaction outside the kitchen.  It's a new norm and it's wonderful!

Lost 271lbs with my LapBand in 22 months!  My Band malfunctioned and I gained almost 42lbs and then revised to the Sleeve 9/24/12!  I lost another 140 lbs with my Sleeve!  Loved the LapBand and Lovin' The Sleeve!

Miss150
on 3/18/13 3:04 am
Thank you for the bit'o'wisdom. Appreciated.

goal!!! August 20, 2013   age: 59  High weight: 345 (June, 2011)  Consult weight: 293 (June, 2012)  Pre-Op: 253 (Nov., 2012) Surgery weight: 235 (Dec. 12, 2012) Current weight: 145

TOTAL POUNDS LOST- 200 (110 pounds lost before surgery, 90 pounds lost Post Op.diabetes in remission-blood pressure normal-cholesterol and triglyceride levels normal!  BMI from 55.6  supermorbidly obese to 23.6  normal!!!!  

Deckeriv
on 3/17/13 9:00 pm - TX
VSG on 03/26/13

I am so glad you wrote this. I really don't think you did enough research before getting your VSG but having remorse now is the wrong way to approach it. You should be embracing the fact that you can't go back to the way you were, and that is why you will be successful. And since you are violating all the rules, you just now are realizing that you know you have to act right or there are penalties.

1. Your feelings of not being satisfied is in your head. Your stomach just had it's nerves cut and you don't have hunger. You have to realize it and approach it with a positive attitude. Think of that mental hunger as pounds falling off.

2. You are burping because you are eating too fast, not taking your PPI's, or eating the wrong foods. Correct that and burping will decrease.

3. Take your vitamins unless you really want to hurt yourself. And what does an "accidental" use of straw mean? Come on really?

You have been given a gift. The gift of life. You will live 10 years longer losing the weight. Realize that right now you have tons of hormones being released from the fat cells that you are shedding and remorse is probably some type of mild depression. Stick to your plan and your remorse will go away in a couple of months. Keep your chin up.

800 calories and less than 20 net carbs is the shizzle

sleevegirl
on 3/17/13 9:34 pm - Austin, TX

I'll second the PPI - take Prilosec! What do your carbs look like? Carbs beget carbs, so I keep mine low to keep the snack monster away.

The burping and discomfort will resolve. I think it was 4-8 weeks until I felt really in control of what the hell I had done. LOL.

If you don't have a therapist, consider it. She helped me with the mental issues I had around the surgery (not to mention why I got so overweight).

Hang in there... it gets better... and then it gets marvelous! Embrace it! 22 pounds is AWESOME!

Candy from Austin, TX  |   Website  |  MyFitnessPal  |  My OH Blog

5'6" / HW 375 / SW 355 / CW 150 / Maintaining 155-159 - Goal Reached! 225 Pounds Lost

slimpickins5280
on 3/18/13 12:17 am - CO

What she said.

OP - I still sometimes can't wrap my head around the fact that I voluntarily let some surgeon take 85% of my tummy - forever. It's something that you have to start accepting and figure out what to do now.

Protein - make it your first priority

Water - second priority

Vitamins - 3rd

Get a PPI.

The shakes suck. Plug your nose and drink them. Add decaf coffee to them. Add SF powdered hot chocolate to them. Make them warm. Make them with ice. Point is - get the protein in. Try Isopure - some folks hate it, but 40 grams protein in one bottle is some damn good bang for your buck.

Water - at 3 weeks out I was allowed to count protein shake toward my total water intake.

Personally, I wouldn't transition to the next phase until you've got this phase going a little better. Maybe give it a few more days.

Take your vitamins with something - if you have already introduced purees, make sure you've just eaten.

Hike up those big girl panties and figure each thing out - one at a time.

Good luck.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Nanato2
on 3/17/13 10:15 pm, edited 3/17/13 10:17 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Tia I understand how you feel I am 5 weeks out and the first month for me was rough but this last week since I moved to soft foods and am allowed variety of things it is so much better.

Let me address each of your comments.

1. I was not satisfied at all the first few weeks,  the cravings for carbs is all in our mind because right now we do not really feel hungry. Acid reflux makes us think that is hungry when in fact it is not. Not satisfied I understand cus of the lack of variety of foods at this stage.

2. The burping is gas being released from our body and acid reflux you need to get the proper medication to control it. I had acid reflux prior to surgery and after surgery they changed my medication well at one month I couldn't take it anymore and went back to my post op meds and it has worked so much better. I find I am a burping farting machine and the noises in my belly I tell my hubby it is my alien in there.

3. There are a few thing you need to do right now , get your protein in, make sure you are sipping water to get the amount of fluids needed and get your vitamins in and yes a lot of getting it in has to do with us talking ourselves into doing it but this is very important in our health and weight lose because with out the protein and fluids weight lose will slow down.

4.  Feeling satisfied that will come right now everything tastes like hell, even water for me from day one was nasty I have to add crystal light or other things to make it taste good to get it in.  

5. Stomach feeling like hell after you eat remember to chew everything real good take very small bites and eat small amounts I am still eating maybe a tablespoon of food at a time.

Remember we are all different and what works for one may not work for others try different things. but the most important is to stay hydrated and get your protein in or you could end up in hospital dehydrated. Also if the pain is that bad go back to the doctor and have them investigate you could have something else going on.

Good luck.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

MuttLover
on 3/17/13 10:24 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

So sorry to hear that you are having a tough time!  My advice/thoughts:

1. What is "satisfied'?  If you really just "want" more, that is all in your head, and is one of the hardest things to overcome, I think.  If your purees are primarily carbs, you will continue to crave carbs.  A PPI can help with the indigestion - and in the first few weeks, I also took Pepcid Complete for periodic bouts of indigestion.  You will need to find a protein source that works for you --Greek yogurt flavored with SF syrup can help you get in your protein without shakes until you find something that works.  Ask your surgeon's office about the indigestion and if they can recommend a therapist experienced in food issues to help you understand why you "want" to eat when you are not hungry -- it is critical to your success to figure that out and effectively learn coping skills!

2. Gas-X strips.

Sorry I can't address the other items -- I am on IE and starting last week, OH doesn't always work correctly in IE for me.  So I can't scroll to see anything else (when I try to scroll, a banner ad opens!  I reported it, but the answer was that OH doesn't work consistently in IE).  When I post this, I'll look at the other items, then post again!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

(deactivated member)
on 3/17/13 11:52 pm
VSG on 06/04/12

Tia, 

I hated this surgery for the first 6-8 weeks. I hated everything for the first 6-8 weeks. I did my research, prepared for a full year before and STILL had buyers remorse initially. I know lots of people are super happy after, I was not one of them. I was also nauseous and in pain longer than some, as you seem to be as well. 

You haven't recovered fully from surgery, you're in pain and your hormones and emotions are all over the place. I promise you will feel differently in a month. 

9 months out now, at goal, I feel entirely differently. You will get through this. 

jewel-twin
on 3/18/13 12:09 am - Canada

First....its normal to get buyers remorse.....a lot of people do.  I am 4 weeks out tomorrow.  This is the point where lots of people get the first stall....(also normal).  Its also the point that your hormones start going buck wild.   be easy on yourself...its all a learning experience.

Try eating slow.  Takes me 30 min to eat 1/4 cup- 1/2 cup.  measure everything.  when im eating something new...i take a bit and walk away...see how it feels in my belly....then i continue to eat if it feels ok.  

Are you taking provasid or something similar? 

I hope you feel better soon.  big hugs.  

Juls

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png