lupus antigen

mickeymantle
on 3/20/13 2:41 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

I was told I had lupus antigen and that increased the chance of a clot during surgery about 5%

but can't find any info about it with the sleeve, doctor said it could be treated with blood thinners during surgery  and for a month after and ultra sounds of my legs while in the hospital

any body else have this problem

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Ann M.
on 3/20/13 4:08 am - Salisbury, NC
VSG on 11/21/12

YES, I was diagnosed with this in 2000 and have been on Coumadin since. It's really no big deal except when it comes to surgery. And I had to go once a month to the doc's office and have my blood work done - it's called ProTime or INR reading. I just did mine for this week...I do mine at home now...they finally came up with a little machine for folks to use at home to save us gas, time and money on doctor visits so we do this at home and call an 800 # to record our INR reading then they send a fax to the doc;s office.

Right now I am having to wait on Back surgery because of my Coumadin! I've been waiting since February. It's a pain in the tush, but it really is no problem once you learn to control it. I can't eat a lot of green leafy veggies that I love, or take vitamins that have a high content of K in them, and you get used to this.

I'm a big veggie eater, so that has been my biggest problem. But I've learned to curb it. I still eat a lot of them, but I pick and chose when and what I eat! And let's face it - that's what we have to do now anyway!

So don't sweat this! And if you are one of the VERY lucky ones that doesn't have to stay on Coumadin for life - be VERY thankful!!! I will be on it for life unless God decides to heal me!!

Hope this helps! Ann

Hislady
on 3/20/13 8:56 am - Vancouver, WA

I have a clotting disorder altho it's not the lupus antigen they treat them all pretty much the same. I have to go on lovonox for a week before any surgery and usually for a couple of weeks after depending on what my PT readings are. Like the OP said it's really not that big a deal, just a few adjustments. I still eat salads I just use iceberg lettuce because it has less vit.K and I eat some broccoli and brussel sprouts just not alot at a time. I've been taking coumadin for over 20 years and will have to take it for life. Just part of getting older.kiss

Most Active