I'm going to ask surgeon this on the 18th. Hernia & VSG

lil1inside
on 3/29/13 6:35 am
VSG on 07/10/13

Hello all, After reading about the awful time one of our VSGrs is having with the hernia and VSG.  I am going to ask the doctor if they have to fix my belly button hernia?  When I lose weight, won't it retreat back to where it came from ??  Can't we just ignore it?  Any body have any thoughts on this?  Thank you!

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

LNC62
on 3/29/13 7:15 am - CA
VSG on 12/17/12

A belly button hernia is not likely to be fixed during surgery, nor will it cause the problems that are written about.  Only a hiatal hernia will be fixed and that is located at the juncture of the stomach and esophagus.  You may have an incisionin the belly button so perhaps it would get repaired, but you wouldn't have issues with it.

Cwuddy
on 3/29/13 8:23 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12

I have an incisional hernia that occurred at the site of one of my incisions from VSG surgery and I am just waiting for the call for my surgery date to fix it. 

From all the research I did, I learned that NO type of hernia will go away on its own.  They may retreat when you lay down but they are not going away so ignoring it is probably not a great idea as a hernia can become strangulated which is an emergency situation.

Your surgeon will have the answers you need, good luck!

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/29/13 8:28 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I got a small umbillical hernia after VSG - probably due to a bad cough I had...and I am actually kind of perversely happy about it because it means a free tummy tuck for me as I can piggy back on the insurance for the hernia repair!!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Cwuddy
on 3/29/13 9:08 am - Ontario, Canada
VSG on 08/28/12

You are so lucky Julia!  I'm jealous! lol :)

Vicky - SW = 299   CW = 138

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/29/13 10:31 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I know...I give thanks to my lucky stars every day!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Mel-E-s-Sleeve-Journey
on 3/29/13 10:40 am - CA

Hi,

I have a umbilical hernia. I asked my surgeon about repairing during vsg surgery. She I ask for him to wait so I can piggy back on it tummy tuck which I know I'm going want and need?

Mel

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 3/29/13 10:43 am
VSG on 10/09/12
I got my belly button hernia after I had the VSG. If I had it before it would have been repaired during the VSG since one of the incisions was in the belly button anyways. But sak your surgeon for advice. Also not all insurances will let you piggy back. Mine does. Check with yours first just to be on the safe side.

Italian-Princess
on 3/29/13 10:28 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Hi!

I had my surgery 9 months ago.  They did the sleeve, repaired a hiatal hernia, AND they did an umbilical hernia repair -- all at the same time.  No hernia will go away by itself.  The umbilical hernia came back about 2 months ago, though..........which my surgeon told me would probably happen given the exercise program I put myself on -- probably too strenuous.  I'll have it repaired again after I reach maintenance.

You and your surgeon can best determine what is right for you.

Good luck..............

Ree

lil1inside
on 4/12/13 12:24 pm
VSG on 07/10/13

THank you all so much for the replies--I've had issues with my internet service and haven't been on here for a while.  Thank you!

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 139 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 405 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 434 views