Sleeve Newbie

TynettaM
on 4/16/13 1:53 am - Greensboro, NC

Good Morning All,,,,,

So I had my pre-op work done for April 24th when I have my band removed.

I also go a bit of news. My Dr will not perform the RNY bc of my history of Kidney stones.

So my only of the option is the Sleeve.

Now I have to really educate my self more on the sleeve. I trust his judgment and I'm just glad I now have a surgeon who is awesome.

Jackie T.
on 4/16/13 1:59 am - KS
VSG on 12/19/12

Well welcome to our group!  Long term the sleeve is showing similar success to the RNY.  We might be a little slower in the beginning but we end up in the same place.

I love my sleeve and don't have all the malabsorption issues that you have with RNY.

Highest Weight: 285 SW: 264.6 CW:163.1   Surgeon's GW: 189  PCP's GW: 165-170  

My GW:  154   MFP:  jteaford                  

kc82
on 4/16/13 2:52 am - MI
VSG on 05/28/13

I initially started out wanting the RNY, however my doctor found from my blood work that I was very anemic. I was told that because of the malabsorption, I would likely need iron transfusions for the rest of my life. He told me that if I were his daughter, sister, or friend, he would not recommend the RNY.

That's when we decided on the VSG, and after much research, I'm SO HAPPY that I am going with this decision! I wish I would have done the research in the beginning! I am truly starting to realize that VSG should be the "gold standard" in WLS. Good luck with your journey! It sounds like you have an awesome surgeon! :)

"I have made the choices that work best for me. I know I cannot please everyone, and that's fine." - Marlee Matlin

Starting Weight: 311 lbs
Current Weight: 160 lbs
Height:
5'3"
Surgery Date:
5/28/13

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/13 5:16 am

Glad to hear you have found a great surgeon. Good luck on your journey :)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views