pilates?

artmaker
on 5/9/13 8:45 am
VSG on 12/20/12 with
My college offers pilates, and since i get my fees waived i figured I'd take a course. I'm down 80 pounds, feel great, and want to gain a sense of balance, flexibility, and strength to get my body feeling like a healthy being's. Pilates sounds perfect, and I'm excited, but I'm a little afraid it might still be overwhelming considering I'm still a big girl. (Fyi I'm 5'7 and pretty active)
Anyone on here take pilates while still overweight? How'd it go?

Please and thanks in advance!

"Only the noble of heart are called to difficulty"

-Soren Kierkegaard

simmie78
on 5/9/13 2:15 pm

Pilates is amazing...are they mat classes or reformer (machine classes)?  Regardless you should go to a class and try it out. I did pilates for years - we a larger person...doesn't matter.  I started when I was 230 and 5'8" it totally helps shape your middle and makes you stronger and leaner...stick with it though the first 5 classes suck...but what they say about pilates is true 10 classes, you feel the different, 20 classes you notice the difference (and so do others)...I used to do about 10 classes a month...that gives the best results;-)  The only reason I'm not going now is because it's expensive where I live now, timing isn't that great and I'm doing yoga, which is included in my gym membership - but man I miss it sometimes!!

Good luck!

Currently 180 - 76 lbs lost! Surgery 11/7/12, 36 years old, 5'8". I live in Hong Kong and it's a bit different here!

artmaker
on 5/9/13 4:37 pm
VSG on 12/20/12 with

Thank you for reply, it really makes me feel better! I'm glad you enjoyed it, cause i'm really thinking i will too. From what i know it's a mat class, 4 days a week for 6 weeks, so I hope i see results, but also learn about my body!

-Soren Kierkegaard

dot4you
on 5/12/13 1:16 pm - CA

I've done the pilates with the reformers...I take the level 1 class for beginners. As I'm doing it, I'm thinking ok this isn't too hard, I think I'll be able to finish this class. And I do no problem. It's the NEXT day when it hits! My core was sore. But  it only lasted a couple of days. I love it!

Hope you enjoy your classes...and get the results you're looking for!! Bottom line: you're moving! It's all good!!

artmaker
on 5/12/13 4:29 pm
VSG on 12/20/12 with
Thanks! I'm actually looking forward to being sore!

-Soren Kierkegaard

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views