Daily Vitamins, powders, etc....

daisymae426
on 5/17/13 5:42 am
VSG on 08/27/13

Hello all, 

I'm in my 3-month pre-surgery phase for my insurance.  Reading these boards on a daily basis has brought to my attention that many folks take different things for different things:  ie:  Metamucil, B-12 vitamins, Biotin, for constipation, for hair loss, etc.

For those of you post-surgery, could y'all list what you take daily and why you take it?  I'm curious how many folks take what when.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 5/17/13 6:09 am
VSG on 10/09/12

I take the following:

Multi vitamin - one a day Centrum or something similar because with what I eat I don't think I am getting all the micro nutrients so I supplement with the multi

vitamin A dry 25,000 iu a day because my labs at three months showed that I was low on vit A

vitamin D3 dry 50,000 iu a week in one capsule so I take that on Sundays also because my labs showed I was sub optimal

B12 2500 mg weekly because my surgeon said that my body has stores of B12 for a year and then it may tank or it may be OK. I don't want to take any chances nor draw down my reserves.

milk thistle - coz its great for the liver. My surgeon said I did not have a fatty liver at all and it looked perfect. I want to keep it like that.

calcium citrate 1200 mgs in 3 tablets or chews morning, mid day and evening because I am 49 and I am getting close to menopause probably and women past age 35 should supplement calcium

folic acid 800 mgs a day because my niece who is a doctor told me to take it...its apparently really good for cell regeneration

krill oil - read that it was good for you

I take zinc and vitamin ****asionally

i use lo-salt for potassium and my levels are great

i don't take biotin or a probiotic. I have no intestinal issues nor have I had any hair loss at all. No constipation. I think I may have missed two poop days in the last seven months and this was because I was travelling so I was off my schedule. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

mimij
on 5/17/13 6:38 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I take 2 multis per day recommended by my dr, B12 sublingual every other day because my level was high, B complex with 100 mg Thiamine every other day because my dr recommends thiamine 50 mg per day in addition to other vits, D3 1000 units per day (my D was low and besides that my dr does recommend total of 3000 units per day combined in multi, calcium and separate D3 capsule, Viactiv Calcium chews 1000 mg per day which also contains some D and K, I take baby Aspirin every other day because I had stroke 3 yrs ago, I take Nexium every day for GERD, Miralax every day for constipation.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

daisymae426
on 5/17/13 7:09 am
VSG on 08/27/13

gosh...were y'all taking this much prior to surgery?  Is it hard to keep track?  And doesn't it cost a lot of money to upkeep with all of these daily "meds"?

Is it just a given that post-surgery, we will have to resort to taking all of these goodies to maintain our health?  

I currently have a hate-hate relationship with most vitamins--taking them make me feel nauseous.  :(  I'm concerned about this.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 5/17/13 7:44 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Five tablets a day and two once a week is not that much. I was taking a blood pressure tablet and two metformins and some other stuff for cholesterol and was on the way to a lot more. Traded all that in for some vitamins...and calcium...no biggie. You don't have to take milk thistle or krill oil or the D3 or the A if you are not low on them. Standard for VSGers are two multis a day and some B12 plus calcium citrate. That is the bare minimum. The rest is dictated by your labs and what your doc recommends for general good health regardless of surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

daisymae426
on 5/17/13 8:02 am
VSG on 08/27/13
True, Want, I guess it's all a matter of perspective. At 40, I currently take nothing daily. So...an increase to just 21 tablets in a week is a jump for me (2 multies and b12, for example). And I'm so afraid of feeling sick on vitamins. . It has always been a struggle to take vitamins. That is awesome though that you got to trade in your meds for vitamins.
band2sleeverevision
on 5/17/13 8:56 am
VSG on 02/25/13

4 Bariatric Advantage chewables-these or something like them are standard for any bariatric patient

2 calcium chewables

Colace (stool softener)

Vitamin D (I was low prior to surgery)

That's it....

HappyGigi
on 5/17/13 12:49 pm - FL

My Doctor recommends the Multi-Vitamin "Bariatric Fusion". It has the B-12 in it as well as many of the other vitamins most doctors recommend for Bariatric patients. I hoping I don't have to add any others, unless labs indicate otherwise later on. It is three chewables a day for VSG! Here is the website to check it out: http://bariatricfusion.com/products.php     It costs $25.00 for a one month supply. Hope this helps!

HW: 247  Pre-op: 225  SW: 216  CW: 174.8       GW: 145                 VSG: May 7, 2013

1 week Pre-op: -9    M1: -12     M2: -8    M3: -7  M4: -6    M5: -7  

daisymae426
on 5/17/13 1:20 pm
VSG on 08/27/13
Thanks, Happy. I'll check it out.
Iris B.
on 5/17/13 12:56 pm - Canada
VSG on 12/17/12

I take a morning multi vitamin with vit D (I was low and apparently a lot of over weight people are low in vit D) B12  and Tecta (reduces the stomach acid)  calcium 2 times a day, and iron with vitamin C twice a day ( my iron was low pre-op and still low at my three month work up)  But I have given up blood pressure medications, cholesterol medication, and large doses of gabapentin for chronic pain, which I was taking twice a day but should have been taking it 3 times a day.

All in all the vitamin aren't really that expensive the Tecta is.

I got one of those weekly pill containers that has multiple containers for each day that you can separate from the base.  I fill up the container once a week and take the daily smaller set with me when I go out or too work so that the pills are taken at the correct time.  For example iron should not be taken with calcium as the calcium affects the absorption but is better when taken with vitamin C.

Here is a link to the one I have it is easier to see the picture then try to describe it.

http://haibin668.en.made-in-china.com/product/vqZxbjwypLkP/China-7-Day-Pill-Box-HB6217-.html

iris

MFP ibellflower

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views