Getting water in and keeping soft foods down

jnicole79
on 6/1/13 2:10 am - IL
VSG on 05/10/13
I am having the hardest time drinking water. I used to love plain water now it taste weird. I do drink crystal light but still having a hard time and wondering if its really healthy. Lately I havent even been drinking half of what i should. Also I've been on soft foods and have thrown up several times. Chicken is the only thing that sits well on my stomach. I was so excited to start soft foods. The first day I broiled fish and made veggies cooked soft. I ate a little of both and they went down fine but still it came up. I figured fish would stay down better than chicken but I guess not. Or maybe it was the addition of veggies? Yesterday I ate a couple crackers with cheese spread taking little bitty bites and I experienced dumping symptoms and then threw up. Carbs don't agree with me at all. I'm trying to introduce new foods but at this point I think I'll stick to chicken.
Nancybefree
on 6/1/13 2:24 am, edited 6/1/13 2:24 am
VSG on 11/21/12

Are you blending or food-processing your foods down to a nice, smooth consistency?  That's very important this early out.

How are you with chicken or beef broth for liquids?  As far as adding the Crystal Light, you can experiment with using less of the powder and making a weaker but still-palatable drink.

Try experimenting with different temperatures.  Some sleeves like 'em cold, some like 'em warm or hot. 

How much are you trying to eat at one time?  At that stage my instructions were to eat maybe a 1/4 at a time.

Are you eating slowly, taking tiny bites or spoonfuls as you go?  Taking 20-30 minutes to eat each meal is recommended. 

Please do yourself a favor and stay away from crackers and such.  You really need to do all you can to get your proteins in first. 

***Editing to add that I see nothing wrong with eating mostly chicken.  I still eat mostly chicken.  :)  Ground beef doesn't agree with me postop, and early postop I had the same problem with other proteins like shrimp, but that improved with time and healing. 

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

jnicole79
on 6/1/13 2:45 am - IL
VSG on 05/10/13
I do ok with warm fluids. Broth, soup things like that. I may need to go back to doing more of this and other warm fluids. I was trying to introduce new foods but you're right to stay away from the crackers and carby foods because I do have a hard enough time getting in my protein. I also need to be more mindful of how I eat and how long it takes. Thanks Nancy!
Nancybefree
on 6/1/13 2:49 am
VSG on 11/21/12

It's difficult early on, but you've already learned a lot about what your sleeve will tolerate.  Hang in there, and take good care of yourself.  Keep us posted!

5'8"    HRW 357 on 7/09/12    SW 339   >196 8/26/13 (surgeon's goal)   TWL  193     CW   164 

*:•-:¦:-•:*1st pers. goal 178 on 10/16/13; ultimate goal 164 on 12/13/13*:•-:¦:-•:* 

Islandertra
on 6/1/13 2:57 am - Courtenay, Canada
VSG on 05/15/13

Are you adding and unflavored protein powder to your broths or with you water it will really help get your proteins in. I am surprised you are on chicken already I was sleeved on May 15th and am only just starting yogurt and cottage cheese . I guess every surgeon is so different. I think chicken is a hard one for a lot of people early out. You might want a bit more cottage cheese and yogurt for protein this early out. Good luck I hope it gets better for you

Today is the first day of the rest of my life and I am not going to waste it !!!  Tracy

jnicole79
on 6/1/13 6:58 am - IL
VSG on 05/10/13
Oh yeah I forgot about the unflavored protein. I need to order some of that. Thanks! Chicken goes down fine and stays down. It's other stuff I've been having problems with. I haven't even had trouble with chicken breast.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 72 views