Taking capsules three days post op

JudyAz
on 6/13/13 11:37 am - FL

Anyone with trouble taking capsules and/or pills immediately post op?  Dr ordered resume all meds but my daughter is  worried over size of Prozac. Has some smaller pills that she thinks will be easy. Looking for other's experience's with meds. Got liquid just in case but its just plain awful.

justpete
on 6/13/13 11:48 am
VSG on 04/02/13

I take tons of pills,like 14 a day.  early post op i was able to take all but the very largest one (like 1x2cm).  Well i was able to take that too, but i kinda felt it go down, which i found unsettling.  I used a liquid substitute for that one medication for a week or so (directions said not to cru**** so liquid was my only option).  now if you are talking about gel caps, i havent experienced those, but they always seemed too floaty for me.  some you can break open, some you should not break open (probably most)

if it says it's ok to break in half, or crush, go ahead.  some pills have a coating on them to protect your stomach though, so you probably dont want to break those.  for the liquid, i agree, it's awful. mine was 5ml twice a day.  only advise i can give is to take it quickly ... the taste isnt better if you stretch it out into smaller aliquots than required.  i found tea was good to flush the taste away.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

JudyAz
on 6/13/13 12:56 pm - FL

Thanks...ran back to the pharmacy and they added some flavor...not much better but going to swirl it around a little sorbet.  Doc said he could order smaller dose  which comes in tablets and she can take two. I remember when I was a kid, liquid medicine tasted good...

ParisGirl
on 6/14/13 12:34 am
VSG on 04/25/13

Do you have any SF Syrups? Like Torani?  It might help with the taste....

Good luck! I still have one med that I'm afraid to swallow and I'm 7 weeks ago.  I'm still opening the capsules and mixing them with a teeny bit of applesauce.

JudyAz
on 6/14/13 2:49 am - FL

Thanks..pharmacy added the flavor...yuck...calling dr to change to tablets if possible. Can't open this capsule. Good luck on your journey.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views