Protein Powders

princesswimmer24
on 6/24/13 3:39 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

My husband and I are both having surgery this summer. His in July and mine in Aug. We thought it would be a good idea to try some protein powders now, so that we have a better idea of what we like. Does anyone have any suggestions on best tasting powders? Also my hubby is lactose intolerant, so if anyone else is and has some ideas for him that would be awesome too. Thanks in advance!

Shagdoll
on 6/24/13 3:57 am, edited 6/24/13 3:57 am

It might depend.  Some protein powders might taste good to you pre-op but you will loathe them later after surgrey.  So many people love those Premier shakes but they test my gag relfex.  It didn't help that I got 2 cases back to back where the shakes were all clumpy. 

I actually though the Body Fortress was pretty decent and the price is so right.  You can get a variety of flavors at Walk-Mart but I only tried the chocolate.  I was obsessed with the Syntrax Mint Cookie for the longest time.  They also make a Cookies & Cream that was yummalicous too!!! 

Jenn  

WWBD?  

emmylou1003
on 6/24/13 4:00 am

I am a few days away from surgery and I found a protein powder at wal-mart its Pure Protein (that's the name) and it was only $20, and its not bad!!!  Also if you go to the company Bariatricchoice.com I think they will send you some samples of their items! GOOD LUCK!!!

Emily

MichelleLarra
on 6/24/13 4:00 am - NY

I love the GNC Total Lean Shake protein powders in Vanilla, Chocolate and Strawberry.  My absolute favorite is Strawberry with Chocolate at a close second especially if I add a scoop of Peanut Butter.  You can also try Unjury.com.  they have some powders that are good as well.  I like using their unflavored powder and mixing it with Crystal Light.  You don't taste it but you get your protein in.  Hope this helps.

Bufflehead
on 6/24/13 4:13 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I got a billion sample packets before surgery and found the ones I liked best were definitely the Unjury ones (chocolate splendor, strawberry, vanilla, and chicken soup were what I ended up ordering from them).

I also love the Syntrax Matrix Mint Cookie and Orange Creme -- also their cappuccino. But it really is probably best to hold off on ordering the big tubs until after surgery. I ordered the basics from Unjury because their tubs are small and I figured that even if my tastes did change, at least I wouldn't have giant containers of protein sitting around that I can't use. As it turns out, I still like their flavors very much and intend to continue buying from them.

/not a paid shill for Unjury, I promise.laugh

bhern
on 6/24/13 4:14 am
DS on 01/21/14

Congratulations to you and your husband on your decision to have WLS. My husband and I also had surgery less than a month apart (him 10/16/12 and me 11/7/12).  It's nice to be able to support and push each other along. As for protein powders, I do not recommend buying any powders pre-op unless you can get sample packets or individual RTD's. Your tastes will change after surgery. I promise you this. lol Even after surgery, I enjoyed one kind of protein drink for a week or two, then the next week I hated it and bought something else.  Currently,  I'm loving Jay Robb Whey Protein Powder in Chocolate and Vanilla. I buy this from GNC. I've been told that if you buy something from GNC and don't like it, you can return it and get a complete refund. My husband likes the Premier Protein and has since day one.

Good Luck to you both!

HW 407 * SW 359 * TOTAL WEIGHT LOSS-TO-DATE.... 

Chrissy W.
on 6/24/13 4:30 am, edited 6/24/13 4:30 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

I'm doing the same thing! My surgery is next week and I've found a few that I like. I agree with an earlier comment. Syntrax Mint Cookie and Cookies & Cream are both REALLY good (but I add them to milk, which your hubby couldn't do). Avg of 25 g protein per scoop serving. My Dr. requires Isopure for the first 72 hours post-op. I got a few samples at GNC - Alpine Punch and Blue Raspberry (have heard Grape is the best, but my GNC was out) - and they aren't terrible. I like that they are in liquid form so that there's no "chunk" factor like some powders leave you dealing with. 40 g protein per bottle and ZERO carbs. Honestly, I might add a bit of 0 carb sweetener to give it some "umph". Good luck to you and your hubby!

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

linzeelee
on 6/24/13 7:11 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

For lactose intolerance, he will want to stick with the whey protein isolate. It is the purest protein and the lactose has been removed. If he is used to taking Lactaid pills and having dairy anyway, I will share that this no longer works for me. Lactaid seems to have no effect. Hopefully I will "grow" out of that eventually. But for now, anything with protein concentrate, such as those yummy, convenient Pure Protein ready to drink shakes give me instant diarrhea.

As for as protein powders, I'd suggest ordering a bunch of samples and having them ready for after surgery. Unjury has a sample pack you can get from their website, as does Chike (and both are pretty good). Jay Robb has a protein sample pack too. I got samples of Syntrax Nectar from BJs Bariatrics for a reasonable price (11 for less than $20). About Time will send you 2 samples for $4. I also got a lot of samples from Vitalady. Order samples and try them if you like, but don't get any tubs until you're sure you like them post-op! Good luck!

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Kathy-cny
on 6/24/13 7:15 am - NY
VSG on 06/25/13

My NUT recommends Unjury but I have used Body Fortress in a pinch, didn't really like at first the chocolate peanut butter but jazzed it up a little w some strawberries....I read a good review on the body fortress chocolate that said it was good so I will get that to supplement in between the unjury deliveries,,,,plus a little cheaper ($15 for larger tub)

good luck!

Kathy     HW-393/Surgery weight-368/ weight post op 374 /current weight 292.5

princesswimmer24
on 6/24/13 9:08 am - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

Thanks to everyone that offered suggestions. I am going to order some sample packs from the websites ya'll suggested for us to try post-surgery.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views