Gerd question fairly new post op

JudyAz
on 6/25/13 10:06 pm - FL

For those that developed gerd post op(my daughter is 2 weeks out) did you take your ppi's in the morning or at night? Do any of the ppi's work better than than others or is it just individual?  She's on Prilosec otc....  We put head of bed up last night. No burning or reflux during day...if only she could sleep sitting up...lol  Anyone on ppi and h2 blockers at the same time?  Any other suggestions and hopefully some of this will pass with time..hopefully..thanks for any input.

MuttLover
on 6/25/13 10:32 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

While I had GERD pre-op, I never had nighttime issues, et****il after my surgery.  And the nighttime reflux did improve over time.  Here's what I can tell you:

1. Different PPIs work better for different people.  If Prilosec OTC doesn't work, have her talk to her doc about another.  

2. I supplemented by PPI with Pepcid Complete before bedtime.  Or if I forgot and woke up with that disgusting burning, I'd run in a have one.  Luckily, for me, that was a huge help.

3. I also slept propped up for awhile.  

4. No food or protein drinks for about 3 hours before bedtime.  Water seemed to be OK, but I even tried to taper that off an hour or so before bedtime.

5. I took one dose in the AM, and one in PM of my PPI.

6. Nothing acidy -- so no cream of tomato soup, no fresh lemon or lime in water, etc.  

Those things helped me.  Best wishes to your daughter!

Starting weight: 260; Surgery Weight: 250; Month 1: -15.6; Month 2: -11.8; Month 3: -11.4;  Month 4: -7.4  Month 5: -8.6; Month 6: -3; Month 7 -3.8; Month 8 -7; Month 9: stall; Month 10: -4.4; Month 11: - 2.6; Month 12:-3.4

VSGSteve
on 6/25/13 10:33 pm - NJ
VSG on 04/17/13

I never had Reflux before my sleeve, and I developed it post surgery. I have to take a Prilo in the morning and one in the evening. 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

RoMoFo
on 6/25/13 10:36 pm
VSG on 09/19/13

Not post op but protonix or nexium are very good meds...might wanna ask doc about one of those

JudyAz
on 6/25/13 10:46 pm - FL

Thanks for input. She left message for surgeon, so we'll see what he says, but its good to know how other people manage it and see what works for some. Always lots of info here on OH!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views