Did you have a personal trainer?

Luvmylilboy
on 7/10/13 12:14 pm - VA
VSG on 04/11/13

I have lost 52 lbs. so far and I would like to lose another 50.  This loose skin is freaking me out a bit.  I realized it isn't going to tighten itself!

I have been walking for 45-50 minutes at least 5 times a week.  Last night I signed up for a membership at Gold's Gym.  I want to add weights and resistance to my exercise routine.  The personal trainer offered me a free first session, then tried to talk me into more sessions after we worked out .  I am on the fence about it, so I would like some opinions.  For me, the pros are the accountability, and someone there kicking my butt and pushing me and teaching me the exercises to help me reach my goals.  The cons are the cost and the calories he said I would need to eat per day.  I can barely eat between 600-700. He said for the kind of workout I would be doing, I would need at least 1100-1200 calories a day.  I'm scared that I physically won't be able to eat that much and I am psychologically afraid to eat that much and get into old bad habits.  I have always eaten too much and I am terrified of falling back into that trap.  

If you have used a personal trainer I would love to hear about your experience and if you thought it was worth it.  

Thanks,

Lisa

(deactivated member)
on 7/10/13 2:19 pm
VSG on 06/04/12
I have a personal trainer that I use 2x a week. I would never have reached my goal without his help! He pushes me much farther than I would ever push myself. He has taught me to believe in myself and has helped me to recognize that I'm no longer a 200+ lb person.

My trainer also thinks that I eat much more than I really do.... I am able to make it through my workouts so frankly, I do lie when he asks me what I ate before I came. I figured I know how to manage my diet and I get a ton of protein...

I would go without other things in my life before I would do away with my personal trainer. Its been the best thing that's happened to me!
(deactivated member)
on 7/10/13 6:34 pm

Here is what I would do: Tell the trainer that you are working with a Registered Dietician or Certified Nutritionist. That person is very well aware of your exercise routine, blah, blah, blah......

Most trainers are taught the standard "never less than 1200 calories a day" rule so that's the minimum most will recommend.

My trainer wanted to prescribe a diet for me as well. I told him I had already lost 50+ pounds and was very comfortable with my food plan. He let go once I told him that. He's been great about it ever since, except once when he insisted I should be eating 170 grams of carbs per day to lose weight. My lack of carbs sort of scared him I think.

Anyhow, I love having trainer. Best thing is that I get a new workout each week, so I never get bored. I really like that. I also don't think I would have the results I have now, if it weren't for the workouts he prescribes for me. Mine is also big on form and lower weights. I'm getting great results using really low weights. But with proper form low weights can really work you hard!

I think a personal trainer is well worth the money.

VSG on 06/12/13
My trainer sounds like yours with the low weights. I have two more weeks till I can start back with him, but preop, he had me doing a lot of stuff with weights that struck me as reasonable. I was able to do functional things like get dressed the next day, lol. He hasn't discussed diet yet at all, but perhaps that is because my entire relationship with him so far was predicated on my going in for surgery.

I don't really have anything new to add above what the others have said regarding the benefits - variety, education, and removing the gym intimidation factor were the biggest benefits for me. I started out with a groupon coupon for gym membership and 3 trainer sessions. Based on that, I bought another package that I will start once I get clearance.

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Luvmylilboy
on 7/10/13 8:24 pm - VA
VSG on 04/11/13
Thank you both. I am also wondering if you were able to tone up to the point where you didn't need plastic surgery. I'm most concerned about my stomach. . Everything else is shrinking away but that!
gettingwhatIwant
on 7/10/13 10:43 pm - NY

I have a similar experience to folks above- it's really valuable if you have a good fit. I love my training studio (which is different than my gym) and I actually have two trainers that I see there who work together on my routines (I see them separately) and have slightly different individual goals for me but are both really supportive of my personal goals ( I want to Lift heavy again). 

I had a similar experience with them offering nutrition advice...I just tell them I'm under a doctor's care for that and they are cool with it.

Just really make sure it's a good fit and don't commit to alot of sessions until you are sure you like them even if it means you miss out on a  discount (if you can afford to).

I have tried personal training (and observed personal training) at my chain gym (again different than my personal training studio) that made me cringe and uncomfortable especially when I knew they were teaching bad form or ignoring concerns voiced by clients that sounded like legit concerns and not whining. When I make a face about doing lunges (I don't like them- they make me feel awkward) my trainer just smiles at me and we do them anyway after she reminds me why they are important and that's fine (good even)- when  I say that ball crunches are making my lower back twinge we immediately stop and she gives me an alternative  to do and we see if I react better to ball crunches next session. Having someone "kick your butt" is great as long as it is not at the expense of actually hurting you.

datachick
on 7/11/13 12:22 am - WA
VSG on 10/26/12

Getting a personal trainer was the best thing I ever did, and so glad I did it at this time to take advantage of my small tummy. I work out in a studio, so no big gym with lots of people looking at me. And accountability which is what I needed. Mine too doesn't ask about my calories any more, he knows that I have a nutritionist. Of course he'd love for me to eat 2000 calories a day, but I won't do it while I'm in weight-loss mode. I was at about 800 calories when I started with him, found I was exhausted so increased slowly over a coupla weeks to 1200 which is where I'm at now. I haven't slid down any slippery slope, i have a meal plan from my NUT (1200 calories, several meals and snacks listed with foods that I eat so I can easily keep on plan). I didn't just think "OH I can eat 1200 calories! Give me some cheetos!!" I contacted my NUT right away to discuss it, and she came thru for me. I still lose a pound or two a week (I'm close to goal), and have gained muscle as well. I got my body fat % done (in a water tank) last week, and in the past three months I've lost 17 pounds of fat and gained one pound of muscle...leaving me at 19% body fat! There's no way I'd have accomplished this on my own. That's why I got the trainer. I will wean myself off of him eventually, but again it's the best thing I ever did. Like others have noted, he is super-aware of and provides modifications if I'm in pain.

I am sort of against the big-chain trainers, as some others have noted. When I got my body fat measured the other day, the van (Body Fat Van) was there in the parking lot at a Gold's Gym...many trainers were just standing around outside, some smoking, kidding around with each other. There was a client in the group, a gal. When the trainers turned to go back inside, she must have said something about her weight, and one of them said "Oh come on, you're too skinny as it is!" and the gal that was awaiting her turn with me at the Body Fat Van, we looked at each other and commented about how crappy that was. It didn't seem very professional, shouting out personal comments like that, like they are on the school grounds or something. It was just odd and unprofessional.

Also a friend goes to another small chain-type gym in Seattle, and get a "free" training session once or twice a month included with her membership. She's complained to me that she's hurt her chest muscles, her arm, and her hips because she is on her own to perform these exercises (and therefore doesn't have proper instruction every minute). I wish I could swoop her up and fix it, but I can't.

When I went to initial WLS seminar at the hospital, there was a vet there and said "you know, this (WLS) is one of those things that changes your life, and if you have to take out a second mortgage to do it, then do it". A few months later when I saw her at out WLS support group and she was kidding about wanting more surgery to lose those last 20 pounds (she's at least a year or two post-op, is very regimented, still measures and logs all food and has been very successful), I reflected back to her what she said to us: "Months ago you were in my seminar and said if we had to take out a second mortgage to get WLS, we should do it. So to you I say that getting a personal trainer is the best thing you can do for yourself..so if you have to take out a second mortgage to get one, then do it." I haven't seen her since but she really registered what I said and I wouldn't be surprised if she did. There's no denying the results. My wife (RNY two weeks after me) couldn't deny the results I was getting, so she's been with the trainer now for two months. She has a big belly, but it's shrinking regularly and I wonder if her excess skin will be manageable without surgery. That's what we are hoping. She, btw, is only eating 800 calories a day. I was too exhausted like I said, and so now eat 1200. So you might need an extra protein drink or something on work-out days, but not change the rest of your plan very much. It's something each person has to fiddle with and figure out the balance between weight loss and having the energy to get thru the workouts. Of course to build more muscle I should eat more and more, but screw it: when I'm in maintenance I'll worry about that. Like someone else said, I sort of lied about how much I'm eating, now my trainer doesn't even ask any more.

Seriously, the money will figure itself out. This is a bigger-picture life-enhancing choice. It'll be the best thing you ever did for yourself. If you read Elina's post today, she said she started exercising regularly a year ago (three years post-op) but wishes she started right away. Let's all learn from that.

VSG 10/26/12 • HEIGHT 5'4"
GW = 140 lbs met Month 9
CW = 133
lbs
Loss per Month: 8 >  9 > 7 > SURGERY  > 15 > 10 > 10 > 10 > 7 > 5 > 6
  > 6 > 5 > 5 > 0

It works if you work it; it sorta works if you sorta work it; and it doesn't work if you don't work it.

guttedgrace
on 7/11/13 2:54 am
RNY on 05/02/13

I have a personal trainer that I meet with 1-2 times a week. I told him about the surgery so he's helping me tighten as best as I can. Did you tell your potential trainer about your surgery? If he knew you had the sleeve done, he wouldn't (or shouldn't) be pushing extra calories on you. He may have to edit the work outs he wants to do with you (or not), but you won't know until he has all the facts about you.

Luvmylilboy
on 7/11/13 11:25 pm - VA
VSG on 04/11/13

Thank you all so much for taking the time to thoughtfully respond to my post.  I think I might go for it.  I didn't come this far to fail!

Thanks again!

Most Active