And So The Science Experiment/Adventure Begins!!!

Italian-Princess
on 7/18/13 4:12 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Buon Giorno OH Family!

Just returned from getting my CT scan for starting my cancer treatments.  I now have three tattoos!  Hahahaha  What a joke -- me and my aversion to needles!  Well, these are just three little blue dots so they know exactly where to place me on the table each day. I really did ask for PINK dots, but no dice :-( 

I got some good news early this week when my primary doctor called with my 3 months check-up labs.  My Chronic Kidney Disease is still stabilized with decent function numbers and the Type II is still in complete remission -- I'm very proud of my 5.5 A1c number!!!...........and my cholesterol is perfect!  So, all in all, if it weren't for the cancer, I'd be in terrific health!!!       

Tomorrow I leave for a shortened version of my birthday trip to Las Vegas.........had to compromise with my Oncologist and Radiologist -- at least I get one week.........I'm grateful for tha!.  My return will be July 27, the next day, I'll turn 66, and the day after I'll start my radiation treatments..........5 days a week for 5 weeks..........and on one of those days each week, I'll have chemo. 

It took me a few days to accept that they were serious about me not losing any more weight at this point.  I think I told you they are threatening me with a feeding tube in my lower intestines if I continue to lose.  It's hard to make the mental adjustment after a year of being as compliant to my plan as I could be (with a few tests of Myrtle on various trips -- gotta admit the truth here).  Then it hit me..........here is an opportunity to "test drive" maintenance!  So, in the 3.5 weeks that I've known about my cancer, I've managed to stay within a 2 pound range.  Not too bad for a beginner, I think!!!  We'll see how it goes during the treatments.

I feel so blessed to have so much support here and on MFP.  Most days, I feel I'm one of the luckiest people who ever lived.  Sure, there are some bumps along the road of life, but they build character..........and strength........and teach us lessons to use not just for a particular situation, but for so many other situations we will encounter in our lives.  I've had some people ask me how I can be so chirpy about this newest development...........what am I supposed to do?  Go sit in a corner and pout and cry and yell WOE IS ME?  That's gonna do what?  Make me, and anyone around me, miserable.  SOOOOOOOO, like so many of us do each day, I wake up, am thankful I DID wake up, and decide to be happy and cheerful.  After all, the birds are still singing, the sun still comes up in the East and sets in the West (well, it did yesterday, anyway LOL) and gas prices just keep going higher.  LIFE GOES ON!!!  And so will I! 

And so will you.........whether you're fighting to find your way in maintenance, or struggling to lose those last 15 pounds, or just starting on this journey.  We are strong, we are smart, and we are beautiful (you get to choose your own definition for that), and we can do anything we can imagine.

Let's go live our best lives and let's keep those bumps in perspective, okay? 

With hugs and love to my wonderful family here......

Ree xoxox

5' 1.5" Tall.............69 years YOUNG!!!! Esophageal cancer survivor.

stephanieplum
on 7/18/13 4:38 am
VSG on 06/27/12

I just love you and can't wait to hear about your trip...enjoy every minute and indulge some!!!  While you're in Vegas I'll be in Chicago!!!  :(  And, then on to my class reunion.  

Hugs. Love.  Prayers. And, darn them for not pink dotting you!!!

Italian-Princess
on 7/18/13 10:51 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Thank you, Lesa!  Wouldn't you know it?  I knew you were going to be in the area this summer -- and now it turns out to be the only week I'll be gone    Well, some day, we're gonna get a bunch of us together at a mutually good meeting place and go out and paint the town PINK!!!

Enjoy your travels!  I will, too.............

Love you, Sis xoxox

ParisGirl
on 7/18/13 4:50 am, edited 7/18/13 4:51 am
VSG on 04/25/13

Shedding a few happy tears...  You are the epitome of 'glass half full' and I'm surprised your heart is still contained within your chest.  IT IS SO BIG!!! 

Sorry you did get your bright, cheerful dots.  Here's a few for you!!!

ooooooo

Italian-Princess
on 7/18/13 10:54 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Thanks so much, Sandra!  You are a delight!!!  And those people with their tattoo pinchers or whatever they're called, have to get with the program.  A girl should have dot tattoos to match her nail polish, don't ya think???

Thanks for all those happy dots!  That made me smile

Ree

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/13 5:21 am

I simply adore you!

If only you could bottle your attitude and sell it! You'd be one rich as hell 66 year old! God love you for your positive outlook. I do my very best to emulate it!

Have a wonderful trip. Play, relax, make merry, and build some strength. All my best thoughts and prayers coming your way!

Hugs!

Italian-Princess
on 7/18/13 10:59 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Devon, my Handsome (and hunk-some) Hero!  Your wonderful self makes my heart sing!  Thank you for always saying just the perfect thing. 

I'm sure going to do my best to rock Las Vegas -- with Alison there for the weekend, LV just isn't going to know what to do with the two of us LOL  LV is truly my home away from home, so it should be a blast!

Love you, my friend

Ree xoxox

lil1inside
on 7/18/13 5:26 am
VSG on 07/10/13

I've bookmarked this page to look over it again and again when I'm having a pity party.  YOU are an amazing women, you are special, you are beautiful and you are so blessed with positivity.  I just feel you will do wonderful through this process and you will kick this cancer in the butt!  You will still be in my thoughts, good wishes and prayers (even though you don't need them).  Best wishes to you and your wonderfully positive self!!!!!!!

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

Italian-Princess
on 7/18/13 11:01 am - IL
VSG on 06/28/12

Thank you for your very kind words.  It's just my nature, I think, to find joy and silver linings.  And don't put down brief pity parties.  They help sometimes!

You're really doing a wonderful job..........17 pounds so quickly!  Keep up the good work!

Ree

linzeelee
on 7/18/13 5:50 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

Your posts always put a smile on my face and tears in my eyes - at the very same time. I truly admire your positivity. I hope you have a wonderful vacation, even if it's getting cut short, and I will be sending positive thoughts your way as you begin treatment.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 91 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 311 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 361 views