Lets get physical!

Jennifer L.
on 7/19/13 6:16 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

So my goal since my surgery has been to try to get my 10,000 steps in a day. I have only achieved this once (close a few other times though... but its so darn hot! lol). I love walking! Great workout, especially when you get into the higher number of steps.

My question to those who are post-op, how long until you were able to REALLY work a sweat?  I am missing my zumba (especially since I feel so good!) and have Jillian Michaels Body Revolution sitting in a drawer that I want to use. I would like to go to the gym with my husband and get some strength training in ( I LOVE to strength train!). 

I just want to know of your post-op workout evolution... when it began... how it began...

Until I can do the others, I still will walk! 

HW: 275 SW: 265 CW: 200 GW: 135 Month 1: -25 Month 5: -65lbs total
On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

"You make me new, you are making me new" Gungor

Keith L.
on 7/19/13 6:19 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

You can start with low intensity cardio at about 3 weeks and at 6 weeks you should be cleared for any exercise. At 3 weeks I used a treadmill and started ratcheting up the incline and time. By the time I got to my 6 weeks I could do 60 minutes at 3 mph at a 4% incline.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

themexcellentone
on 7/19/13 6:23 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

So was it 6 weeks before you could start any strength training then?  That's what I am wanting to start with.  I've got a plan in place for my cardio but I really want to do some strength training at least 3x a week to tone my muscles.  Anything I can do to help keep my skin from being too flappity is a good thing!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

Jennifer L.
on 7/19/13 7:02 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I am like you... I want to pump some iron! lol I like strength training more than cardio. I feel the effects more than with cardio. I guess I can wait....

On the fence about self-pay options and if Mexico is the right choice (or scared of that option)? Let my experience (first time ever in Mexico) be your guide. Don't let fear hold you back!

Instagram

Keith L.
on 7/20/13 12:52 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

Most weight training exercises require you to engage your abdominal muscles for stability. You do not want to risk herniating your incision sites.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

linzeelee
on 7/19/13 6:29 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13

You have to go with what your doctor says, but it was about 6 weeks for me too before I felt comfortable doing something intense.

I started water aerobics at 4 weeks and had to take it easy a bit the first couple times (maybe water aerobics doesn't sound intense, but I like to go full force as fast as I can). I could really feel everything in my abdominal area. Now I am 9 weeks out and I feel like I can do pretty much anything. Every once in awhile I will feel a twinge in my abdomen and I know to back off of what I was doing that caused the twinge.

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

Jennifer L.
on 7/19/13 7:05 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

My doctor said 6 weeks and I could do whatever... but said I should be active until then. I also was told not to lift more than 25lbs until then as well ( hard when I have a 3 year old and a 5 year old! Luckily, they are only 30lbs and 37lbs. lol small kids!)

I feel SO great... its hard for me to not want to push. I can still try to up my steps, maybe try to walk faster, ect... I just wish I could strength train. 

Instagram

defygravity
on 7/19/13 11:23 am - NE
VSG on 07/10/13

You are doing great walking that much! My dr said to start walking 3x/wk for 10 min. starting next week.  I ran a bunch of errands this morning and by the time I was done, I was done.  My abdomen gets pretty sore when I do too much at once.  At 6 wks, they said I can start doing basically any workout I want.

~ Colleen                                       Instagram

"It is our choices... far more than our abilities that determine who we are."         

HW 232; SW 223; 1stGW 199;  2ndGW 170  

Jennifer L.
on 7/19/13 11:27 am - Dayton, OH
VSG on 07/10/13 with

I am having no problems... I could walk more if it werent so hot. lol I just don't feel bad, and I feel like I should. haha I have to remind myself surgery was only 12 days ago. 

Instagram

Most Active