Skin issue

Lauren Vento
on 8/13/13 3:06 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12

Now that I've lost most of my excess weight, I do have some sagging skin.  Mostly on my belly.  I'm having a problem with my belly button, and a horrible smell.  I clean it out each day with water and soap, sometimes twice a day, but it doesn't matter, it continues to be nasty.  I'm starting to get really bothered by it.  Anyone else have this issue?  And how did you get rid of it?  I think the soap may be making it worse.  I want to have the skin removed, but that isn't an option for me right now.

Certified Life Coach & WLS Support Coach

Keith L.
on 8/13/13 3:16 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I do not have this problem but try hydrogen peroxide and/or alcohol or maybe some white vinegar, sounds like you may have something growing in there. If its fungus you might try something like an athletes foot spray too.

But my real question is are you drying it thoroughly. Washing it everyday seems excessive, but my guess is the water that is staying in there may actually be exacerbating your problem if you are not getting it dried out.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Lauren Vento
on 8/13/13 3:30 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12

The problem is that there is SO much skin that it wont "air dry".   I have to use a q-tip to dry it out after each shower.  I think I'll try alcohol.

MS_Blueliner
on 8/13/13 3:21 am, edited 8/13/13 3:22 am
RNY on 10/23/13

Sounds to me like a yeast issue. It may sound crazy, but try Monistat to treat. Also, soap very well may be making it worse. Try a gentle cleanser like Vagisil wa****'s made for lady bits, so it is geared to treat odors, ph balance (a good thing if it's yeast) and itch. Also, if you're planning to have the skin removed, and are wanting insurance to cover it, have a physician document this.

Lauren Vento
on 8/13/13 3:31 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12

Thanks!  I'm getting my insurance on Sept. 1st, so i will absolutely be bringing this up to them.  I will try out some of your ideas!  Thanks!

VSG on 06/12/13
Make sure you get this documented - it may be helpful in establishing a pattern if you decide to fight insurance for plastics.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

notoriousgrannyD
on 8/13/13 4:06 am
VSG on 10/16/12

maybe before you kill the critters growing in there you should get it medically swabbed, again for insurance purposes, you can never have too much documented ammo when you go for coverage.

. Surgery date OCTOBER 16th    
slimpickins5280
on 8/13/13 8:07 am - CO

Go see your doctor to get it documented. Go again if it happens again.

Some folks (not all) have found that if they can show a history of skin issues, they are able to get insurance to pay for a tummy tuck when the time comes.

This is not written in stone, but it might help.

Good luck.

VSG 10/18/11      If you don't like the road you're walking, start paving another one.-Dolly Parton

Britt_Bearpaw
on 8/13/13 11:04 am

I have dealt with these as well many times over the years. I have found that after drying (using a hair dryer) I sprinkle in some baby powder. Keeps it dry and comfortable. The jock itch spray can be affective-but it burns! My doctor prescribed an antifungal pill that works wonders! I started working out and started getting these rashes again & after taking the pill just twice they cleared up.

Lauren Vento
on 8/13/13 11:10 am - Lake Elsinore, CA
VSG on 09/08/12

The problem is that I have SO much belly skin, that without a q-tip i cannot "get in" it.  Its collapsed and deep.

Most Active