TMI.... Stool softeners

Akidd1012
on 8/16/13 1:55 am - KY
VSG on 07/25/13

We have all been there.... What is the suggestion for an over the counter stool softener? I am 3weeks post-op. called my doc today and they suggested more fluids, OTC stool softeners or Metamucil? What is best? 

mickeymantle
on 8/16/13 2:09 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

mine said to use mirilax , it helps you go and also softens

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

band2sleeverevision
on 8/16/13 2:31 am
VSG on 02/25/13

My doctor recommends Colace because he says it's non-habit forming....then Miralax if that doesn't do the trick after a day or two.

Make sure you're drinking your water.....hard when you're only 3 weeks out.

At 3 weeks out, you want to stay away from the grain based fiber....it swells in your stomach and creates a gel that could be bad for you until you're healed more.

(deactivated member)
on 8/16/13 3:17 am - Worcester, MA
VSG on 02/25/13

I used Colace and it did nothing for me. I used Mirilax, so much better!

A. Kondrlik
on 8/16/13 10:54 am
VSG on 01/24/13

I use Senna-s, also called senokot-s,   two tablets daily either one am and one pm, or two in evening.  I also drink 2 tsp of metamucil in 3 cups of water every day.  Things are "almost" normal.  I use the Miralax only if I go a couple of days without going.

I used to be a hospice nurse and we swore by senna s for our patients.

It is a stool softener and a laxative.  I imagine I will have to take it until my fiber intake gets high enough.

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

justpete
on 8/16/13 11:56 am
VSG on 04/02/13

senna/senekot is good if you are stuck.  but not supposed to take for more than 3 days.  makes your intestines lazy

at 4 months out, i tried to get back onto metamucil because it worked for me pre-op.  I thought that now that i can drink fairly fast and a lot it would be ok.  but it was uncomfortable.  swells up pretty quick in stomach and intestines and takes a lot of water to flu**** out.  if you dont drink enough water, it actually acts like a cure for diarrhea.  also can cause some gas and bloating.

Miralax is what i hear most people prefer.  I also take colace.  both of these are not habit forming and seem to help.  you can even do both i think.

HW: 407   Final Appointment : 376   Pre-op Diet Start: 367   SW: 350 (Apr2/2013) Add me on MFP

Akidd1012
on 8/16/13 12:02 pm - KY
VSG on 07/25/13
Prior to surgery I took 2 fiber capsules a day with my multi. I had been doing that combo for years. I know I can't take those anymore. I honestly have never been regular and would normally go maybe 3 times a week. So I was feeling kind of crappy today so I got to thinking and realized that I had not had a BM in awhile. My first week post- op was diarrhea. I was drinking the protein shots at that point. After that.. In two weeks only two BM and they were both very very small. So I figured I probably needed to start taking something for it. Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 0 replies · 18 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 191 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 278 views