Hi, newbie here!

rengirl1978
on 8/16/13 1:50 pm - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Hi all :-) My name is Rhiannon, and apparently I joined this site years ago, but forgot about it. I was interested in the LAP Band a while back, but after finding out the difficulties of getting insurance to pay, I guess I gave up. But I am back now and ready to change my life! I have decided on the sleeve procedure. I'm still not 100% on having the procedure done.  still have to take a 4 hour nutrition class and I will make my final decision after that. But I am mostly cleared insurance-wise. Only 2 things left...the nutrition class and a psychological eval. I have the eval scheduled for Sept 4th, and then the nutrition class on Sept 8th. Then, after those 2 events, my surgeons office will submit for final approval.

I'm 5'4 and 260lbs. My BMI is about 44-45. I do have high blood pressure, but otherwise healthy. I am having difficulties losing weight now for two reasons: 1. My stomach has a real problem feeling hungry & not feeling full. 2. I have had a spinal fusion and my muscles just can't tolerate this weight.

I can eat and eat and eat & never feel full! Or, an hour after dinner, even when I have had a large meal, my stomach will be rumbling and cramping for food, it's ridiculous! I know I ate not too long ago, and I try to ignore it, but eventually I HAVE to give in due to the pain! My physician said to try and eat a handful of almonds, or something like that, but it just doesn't work. My stomach has gone haywire!

And then we have my back... I have a 5 inch scar just above the tailbone area where I have 4 screws, 2 rods, and a plastic disc living. During this operation, the surgeon had to slice through my large back muscles, so now, I get horrible spasms from just doing the dishes. My nerve pain is gone and the spine mostly feels good, but the muscles can't take the weight.

So it is time for drastic measures. I cannot lose the weight without some surgical assistance. Been trying for years and it's not happening! I am really looking forward to getting rid of the hungry feeling. I have read on a couple of messages that the hunger pains really do go away with this type of procedure. That sounds like a miracle to me! Thanks for reading, I look forward to getting to know you all!

princesswimmer24
on 8/16/13 2:09 pm - VA
VSG on 08/05/13

Welcome!! I was hungry all the time prior to my surgery, so I can understand that. I am 11 days postop and hubby is 1 month, neither one of us get hungry, so are always reminding each other to eat lol There is head hunger to deal with and I see a therapist to help with that and my emotional eating. I have had chronic pelvic pain for 7yrs and I have always ate away the pain. So, he has been working with me on that. I started the therapy about 3mos prior to my surgery so that I would be in the right mindset to use this new tool to my advantage! Good Luck and keep us updated on your journey!

DesertRose
on 8/16/13 2:46 pm
VSG on 01/08/14

I'm new too, and I feel much the same way.  I don't seem to be able to control my eating, and I'm hoping that the surgical journey will help.  (Fortunately, I am lucky enough not to have had to have major back surgery yet, but I'll be there in a few years if I don't get this darn weight off.)

Best wishes to you!

rengirl1978
on 8/17/13 3:54 am - Denver, CO
VSG on 12/18/13

Thank you ladies! Good luck to you both as well.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views