Antacid ??

f4eva
on 8/22/13 1:57 pm

A friend of mine who was sleeved about 2 years ago, told me she opted not to take the antacid after her surgery because she wanted to feel a little "gross" with eating so it wouldn't be easy for her to eat.  She told me I should not take it since it helps me to eat.  I thought it was to control the acid in your stomach so it doesn't hurt the sleeve.  Am I wrong?  Has anyone not taken the antacid after surgery??

KathyA999
on 8/22/13 4:17 pm

My recommendation would be to follow your surgeon's advice, which will probably be to take a PPI (proton pump inhibitor, much different from an antacid).  Once your staple line has healed, probably a good 8-10 weeks out, you can decide whether to continue.  Acid reflux is a somewhat common after-effect of VSG and is very uncomfortable, trust me, you won't like it if you do get it. 

One more thing to consider.  If you do end up with acid reflux, it's a factor in the development of Barrett's esophagus, irritation from acid backing into the esophagus, which can lead to cancer of the esophagus.  A PPI helps to control the acid and prevent Barrett's.  Just saying.

I had reflux before surgery, and still have it afterwards, about the same or maybe just slightly worse.  But I have taken a PPI since surgery (and before), currently I'm taking generic Prilosec 20 mg twice a day, and never have any reflux events or acid-y feeling.  I don't feel the need to use discomfort from acid as a device to reduce my eating, the sleeve itself is quite effective.

Good luck on your surgery! 

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

VSG on 06/12/13
From what I understand, Barrett's esophagus can lead to esophageal cancer. Per the article below, the risk is small, but why take chances?

By design, the surgery should take away most if not all of your feelings of hunger, and you will feel satiety when you eat if you listen to your body. My therapist advised me to focus on respecting my body, and this has worked well for me. Denying my body what it needs isn't respecting it.

Ask your doc, but this friend's advice seems suspect.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/barretts-esophagus/HQ00312

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Tracy D.
on 8/23/13 1:51 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Excess acid causes ulcers and ulcers in your teeny tiny stomach are BAD NEWS!   You need to control the acid in your stomach; you don't need the acid to control your eating.  Your friend, although trying to be helpful, is very misguided in her advice on this subject. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active