Insurance Question

cjr721
on 8/25/13 12:33 am - Spring Brook Township, PA

I was told that my insurance covers 90% after deductible is met.  Has anyone had their insurance NOT cover the procedure?? Also, those whose insurance did cover it, what was your out of pocket expense??

NIcolexxo
on 8/25/13 1:53 am
VSG on 09/27/13

I haven't had surgery yet but was told my insurance covered it 100%, I was responsible for the deductible for the over night hospital stay which is $250 per day, my Dr. told me I should be there for one night so I'm guessing $500.

Mwin
on 8/25/13 2:06 am
My insurance covers 90% after deductible as well, up to my maximum out of pocket per the insurance plan. I have already used a significant portion of my insurance plan's out of pocket maximum, so right now I am looking at just under 2000.00, to be paid in full after insurance officially approves the surgery but before the surgery takes place.

This was a shocker to me, as I thought I would be billed afterwards, but it is still considered elective surgery so I have to pay upfront. Make sure you check with your plan and your hospital so you don't get the jaw to the floor-it is like I did.

Best wishes!
DreamAngel3372
on 8/25/13 2:21 am

You should also have a n out of pocket on your insurance.  So you would be paying deductible and then 10% up to an out of pocket amount. The deductible counts towards the out of pocket. After you have met the out of pocket..coverage is then at 100%.  Check your policy book or call the insurance and ask about this.

Keep your dreams alive. All things are possible for those who believe.

tdallison
on 8/25/13 2:22 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13

My insurance covers 90%.  I have a $400 deductible and a $300 inpatient copay.  Also have $3,000 max for out of pocket.  So my surgery is costing me $3,700.  They wanted all up front but I offered half and asked to be billed the rest.  They accepted.  Surgery for me is tomorrow.  Good luck on your journey!

Toni Dallison

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

LtWeight
on 8/25/13 3:15 am - MO
VSG on 07/29/13

My insurance covered my surgery and I was responsible for 15% after meeting my deductible.  I had to pay $1100 up front, it would have been about $195 more if I had paid the balance over time instead of right then.  I haven't received my explanation of benefits from insurance yet so I'm not sure what the final settlement will be.  What I paid was their estimate prior to surgery.

SophieNJ
on 8/25/13 5:47 am - Parsippany, NJ
VSG on 03/05/13

don't forget all the pretesting...endoscopy, venus dopler, chest xray, cardiologist, pulmanary, blood work, etc etc...all docs/requirements are different.  our largest outlay was for anesthesiaologist (not in any insurances),..   I paid about 5,500 out of pocket, which was my max.  no one asked for anything up front, and everyone billed separately. 

HW 275 SW 246 CW 162.5  GW 150  ( 5'1"  Over 1 1/2 inch lost in the last few yrs! LOL) lost 50 lbs on my own, stable for 3 yrs, gained back 21 during year b4 surgery.

sillymilly
on 8/25/13 7:28 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

My insurance is 80/20, so I needed to pay my hospital deductable, then 20% of the bill.  I spoke to someone at the insurance company first, and they gave me a total out-of-pocket estimate of just over $4,000 based on all the other VSGs they've handled.  

Funny thing is, after surgery when I got my benefit explanation from them it listed what the hospital and doctors billed them, what they were paying, and then...my expected out of pocket at $2100.  I was much happier with that!  

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 272 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views