No Pre-op Liquid Diet?

KrissyMisssy
on 9/11/13 4:48 am - TN
VSG on 12/02/13
I went to meet with my patient advocate at my surgeon's office yesterday. I was advised that I would need to lose 13 lbs (5% of my current weight) OR pay a $120 fee and go on the 2 week pre-op liquid diet. I know that the purpose of this is to reduce the size of the liver to reduce the risk during surgery, but will just losing 13lbs pre-op reduce the size just as much as the liquid diet?

I'm asking because I'm in month 5 of my pre-op supervised diet plan, and have been on a very strict diet using Phentermine and I have already lost the required 13lbs. I had been assuming there would be a liquid diet, so I have been more lenient with my diet lately, and had just planned on making sure I don't gain it back before the final surgery weigh-in.

Also, it seems like most people on here do the pre-op liquid diet. Is it unusual that my surgeon doesn't require it?

mimij
on 9/11/13 4:54 am - McDonough, GA
VSG on 10/03/12

I was not required to have liquid diet preop because my BMI was 39. I was instructed on how to eat in the last month prior to surgery so I could hopefully shrink the liver a bit and make it easier for surgeon to maneuver around without injuring my internal organs.

MIMI  Highest weight 215  SW 203  GW 125   M1 -22  M2 -12  M3 -11  M4 -7  M5 -10  M6 -5  M7 -6  M8 -5  M9 -4  M10 -3  In maintenance since June 2013  HT- 5'2"  

VSG on 06/12/13
I didn't have a liquid diet, either. Only liquids 24 hours prior to surgery. My preop diet was high protein + very low carbs (20g/day) for 2 weeks.

I have to think the fee is to cover the cost of the supplements on the liquid diet. I would save myself the money and stick with what you're doing, if you can. I found the hi protein/low carb gig very manageable and provided good practice for where I am now.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

MsBobbiTX
on 9/11/13 5:17 am
VSG on 09/16/13

Consider yourself lucky!!  I'm on my preop liquid diet (day 3). It sucks :)

cuteducky36
on 9/12/13 5:51 am
VSG on 08/23/13

I know the liquid diet sucks but take it from me.... it gets easier.  You can do it.

KrissyMisssy
on 9/11/13 6:41 am - TN
VSG on 12/02/13
Thanks for the responses everyone. Now that I know they still gave you guidelines of what to eat, it makes me feel better. I guess I will find out more at my pre-op appointment. I just don't know how big the liver is normally vs what they want it to shrink down to before surgery. I'm not excited about the thought of someone cutting me open and messing around, so if I can do anything to make it easier, I will!

cuteducky36
on 9/12/13 5:42 am, edited 9/12/13 5:43 am
VSG on 08/23/13

I know that I had to do a 10 day liquid diet before my surgery.  For 9 days I was on a high protein liquid diet and on the 10th day clear liquids only.  I lost about 12lbs doing that and when my parents had their surgeries they lost about 20lbs.  It is not fun especially when you have other people in your house who need to eat.

Most Active