Surgery in two days!!!

RoMoFo
on 9/16/13 2:25 pm
VSG on 09/19/13

I am so terrified and having so much anxiety about having this surgery!  I know why I initially wanted to do this and need to do it.  I have always been big and I need to be healthy especially if I want to have kinds in the next five years.  I have been on this liquid diet and trying this or that and not liking most of what I can have and I feel weak.  I haven't tried a protein shake that I like and feel like I have no energy.  I want this to be a positive experience.  I am working the next three nights and feel like I need to find something I can stand to guzzle down for energy/nourishment.  Any advice/KIND words would be great.  No negativity needed!  Thanks y'all!

DesertRose
on 9/16/13 2:39 pm
VSG on 01/08/14

It may be worth your time to look up recipes for protein shakes other than the premade ones.   Added benefit:  Homemade protein shakes are generally less expensive than the premade kind.  (Homemade anything is usually less expensive.) 

You'll probably have to tinker with them to find some you like, but that's going to be the case pretty well regardless of what you do.

I can totally understand about wanting to find something palatable for energy, especially if you have to go to work.  I hope you find something that works for you.

Best wishes!

bfatfree
on 9/16/13 10:35 pm

Good Morning RoMoFo,

I am scheduled to have my surgery in a view weeks.  Although I have had this type surgery before (Lapband in 2010), I am also nervous.  So I share in your feelings.  I do know that it is not a s bad as we think.  I simply want it to be over.

In your message you stated that you were feeling weak from being on liquids.  Check out bariatric choice and bariatric eating on the web.  I know that it is close to your surgery date but you will be on liquids for a while and you will want something that is tasty when you are recovering.  Check out those sites so that you can can nourishment that is tasty when you come.  I found that the grocery and health food stores' protein shakes did not taste good at all.  Also try the Whey at Wal Mart if you have one in your neighborhood they have a Whey that is very tasty and less expensive.

I believe that you will do well and your recovery will be smooth.  Looking forward to hearing good news from you soon.

on 9/17/13 3:33 am

Hi. I am 1 week post-op and I felt your anxiety. I was so scared. I too turned to this site and everyone was so helpful. This is not an easy thing we are doing. We can only do it for ourselves. I saw what was happening to me. God gave me one body and I really messed it up. Now God has given me another chance to make it right. I want to live! And this is going to help me to do just that. After, you will be glad you did it. In the hospital I did have a couple of "feel sorry for me moments" and it is really hard. But no one said it would be easy. The pain meds help, use them! You will do well. Stay strong, you have one more day.

As for the protein shakes. I use Unjury. They taste is pretty good, they can be found at Unjury.com

Good luck honey! Please update and let us know how you are doing.

Ivorybird
on 9/17/13 4:07 am - San Francisco, CA
VSG on 09/19/13

We are on the same day!  I'm nervous as well, but I keep telling myself it will get better.  I'll be thinking of you on Thursday.  I know we made the right decision.  I think it's kind of like getting on a roller coaster - when it starts I usually have a "why did I do this?" moment, but it's okay in the end.  Good luck, and see you on the loser's bench!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views