November 25th is THE day!

Wicked_Flame
on 10/14/13 10:25 am

Yay! Scheduled my surgery for Monday November 25th! Yes, I realize that is the Monday BEFORE Thanksgiving. I don't have a lot of PTO since I had a family emergency and subsequently a death in the family. I am hoping that with the 3 days off for sick time and the 4 days for the Holiday I will be able to fake it back at work the following Monday. I am in Outside Sales and work from home so as long as I can talk and type, I should be ok with a week. Right?

I am excited and nervous. I am concerned about the pain and suffering! I also don't have an adequate support system so I am worried about doing this on my own. I am not telling my family until after the fact, too high of an emotional price. I am not telling my coworkers until they start asking about it (the weight loss, my job REQUIRES me to take people to lunch everyday- there is only so long I can say I am "detoxing" or had a big breakfast etc.) I have a few close friends that I am sharing the news, I will have to rely on them. I also hope that this site will be a great form of support.

My Dr doesn't require me to do a pre-op diet so I am fortunate not to have that to experience however the weekend before, I may start to put in practice how I will be living for the remainder of my life. I will quite literally be hitting a wall when I come out of surgery!

So, I am excited and anxious at the same time. I have been trying to clean out my pantry so I can start afresh. I may donate a lot of my non perishables to a soup kitchen. Other than cleaning out the cupboards, what else can I do to prepare for this life long journey?

LosingSarah
on 10/14/13 12:30 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Congrats!!

I am not telling most of my family, only my hubby, and brother & his wife know. I imagine that not having a support system has its positives in that you won't have people tempting you unintentionally with what they are eating. All decision making will be yours, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Cleaning the cupboards is a good idea. My surgery is on Wednesday (totally excited & terrified at the same time!) and my cupboards & fridge are cleaned out and stocked with the things I'll need for the next couple weeks or so.

Good luck!!

pineview01
on 10/14/13 4:40 pm - Davison, MI

Good luck tomorrow Sarah!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

LosingSarah
on 10/14/13 10:52 pm - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

Thanks!

pineview01
on 10/14/13 4:36 pm - Davison, MI

My heart goes out to you!  A support system is so important our center requires you to have one.  (Well they say they do but, we have people with out one.)  I understand about the emotional price of telling family.  I didn't tell any of mine when banded, I have told two sisters this time as they both have had WLS.  The one I told to talk her out of getting the band.  It has made us closer.

You should be OK after a week if working from home.  You might need to get a nap in during the day.  As long as you can talk and walk you can get your walking in.  Hopefully you don't belch while talking to customers

Cleaning out the cupboards and restocking them with the protein shakes and other food you need to have is a good start.  Make sure you have every thing you need at home if you don't have somebody that can pop out and get it for you.  Explain your situation to your surgeon and see if you can get your scripts in advance to have them at home.  Ours gives them to you at check out, I guess they don't want to give you pain meds and than not have surgery.

Not having a pre-op diet may seen fortunate but yes, you may want to do a high protein low carb diet just to shrink your liver to make it easier for him to do the surgery and hopefully have a safer surgery and recovery.  You don't want to hit the wall on top of having a major surgery.

If you want someone to talk to in cyber space pm me.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Nmmsg
on 10/14/13 8:54 pm
VSG on 07/09/13
You will be ok. I had my surgery on Tuesday and went back to work the following Monday. As long as your close family is with you, you will be all right. You don't need alot of people. Just take a step at a time and try not to pile on all of your future worries.

Learn from your family history and rewrite yours!

aliekat
on 10/14/13 9:29 pm

great day to start--my birthday. good luck

Disclaimer: Although I am a doctor, I do not play one on TV, nor have I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express.  I've done a lot of additional research on WLS issues but am not qualified to give medical advice over the internet.  I'm happy to share my research with you, but you should see an acting professional if you want real medical advice.enlightened

julie D.
on 10/15/13 1:47 am - williamstown, vt

I am also having surgery that day!  I fortunately have a great support system and  time off from work.   Make sure you have someone with you for the first couple days or that can at least check in with you throughout the day.  I am excited and scared too but we are sooo close!

Wicked_Flame
on 10/15/13 9:24 am

Thank you everyone for the support and advice! I am really going to need your help!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 115 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 341 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 393 views