TOM Cravings...?

Chrissy W.
on 10/29/13 1:29 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

What do you do about them? I succumbed to an oatmeal raisin cookie yesterday at Whole Foods, along with a few other carbs during the day. I just barely went outside of my plan as far as numbers go, but the cravings are in full swing. This is the first time I've really dealt with any serious cravings since surgery and it's freaking me out a bit. The fact that it's TOM isn't helping either. 

So, VSG lovelies, give me your wisdom. Ladies, are there any VSG "go to" snacks that you have during TOM? Or is this the time when I must grit my teeth and deal with it. I can honestly see myself pacing the floor by sundown. I become a carb junkie during TOM :(

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

Nikke2003
on 10/29/13 1:39 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

For me, the best way to combat carb cravings is to not give into them. I know that sounds weird and it easier said than done... but I know in my mind that the cravings I feel will only be worse if I give in and that keeps me on track.

I try to keep my calories between 600-800. Usually they are 650-700... so if I find myself with hormonal hunger/cravings, I may creep up to 800 during that time. I just make sure I eat lean protein that will fill me up much easier.

Honestly, in the times that are really bad, I just have to white knuckle it and tell myself that I've come this far and I've turned down A LOT of tasty things in the past year. What makes this tasty thing any more important? It isn't... so why would I give in now? It's a head game I play with myself lol. I also tell myself that I can eat alllllll the good stuff I want... right after I eat 3 oz of protein, knowing full well that I won't be able to eat anything at all when I'm done. But it's the way I have to trick my brain into letting go of the urge to eat things not on my plan!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

Shagdoll
on 10/29/13 2:09 am

Nikke's got it right.  Your best bet is to not give in to the carb cravings at all.  But I am one of those severely carb sensitive people that end up in a downward spiral with even just a little carbs. 

I tend to get a savory tooth (salty) during TOM but sometimes it's a sweet tooth too.  If you really want to stay on plan, drink plenty of water in between meals because the further out you get, you will be surprised to heck when you feel like you can become a bottomless pit.  I'm not kidding.  You will wonder where all that food is going that you are consuming at one time. 

My VSG friendly snacks during TOM?  I'd say turkey pepperoni nuked in the microwave to get them crispy like chips.  That took care of my salt cravings.  For sweet, it just depends... sometimes it was cottage cheese with a dab of SF fruit preserves or SF pudding mix in my plain greek yogurt. 

Good luck!  It's a rough time of the month but we can get through it!

Jenn  

WWBD?  

danixbanani
on 10/29/13 2:15 am - NY
VSG on 10/12/12 with

I'm the same as Jenn...I get savory/salt cravings during TOM.  I could seriously just eat a spoonful of salt haha.  I know this sounds bad and if you are carb sensitive I wouldn't recommend it but I usually give myself a cup of skinny pop popcorn or organic popcorn that is salty.  The stats are relatively low (except for carbs but still pretty low for carbs) and it satisfies me.  The sweet tooth thing can always get me...my best recommendation is try for something sugar free that won't derail you too much.

We're so blessed as ladies aren't we?  haha

band to sleeve revision and loving life!

You do you, and I'll do me

Keith L.
on 10/29/13 2:57 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

For what it is worth because I am not a woman and I do not have any idea what you guys go through every month but in all fairness I have lived in households with more women than men for my entire life and I was raised in an OB/GYN office so I have some knowledge and more importantly sympathy for what you must endure.

Here is one thought I just had when I saw this post as we do see this about once or twice a month. But here is my thought and this is really a general thought on cravings in general. Cravings CAN and often do mean something. It can mean that your body needs something that you are not getting in your diet. Now think about the physiological catastrophe that happens each month. You lose blood, your body goes through a pretty significant trauma, along with that blood goes iron, which women are low on to begin with, and I am sure your body produces a significant amount of cortisol to deal with the stress.

So given that I would think things that are very vitamin, protein, fat, and iron rich would be things you would want to be eating. There is also an emotional factor that I cannot speak too. I know my wife and daughters want chocolate during this time and other than fats in chocolates I cannot think of any other substance in chocolate that would be something the body is craving.

I also know that when your body prepares to become pregnant you need more fats to sustain the whole gestation process so  you might want to try satisfying those cravings with fats (obviously don't go crazy here because fats are 9 calories per gram). Try some coconut oil mixed with cocoa powder and some splenda or stevia and throw it in the fridge for a few mins to harden or the freezer to firm up and it should be close to chocolate consistency.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

claudiaes
on 10/29/13 3:27 am - ddo, Canada
VSG on 11/18/13

you are right on about the chocolate, I don't know if anyone has done the HCG diet here but I have and in the HCg forum they have a recipe called cocoa crack which is coconut oil (some doctors say that our bodies cannot absorb the fats in coconut oil but I don't know if I believe it) cocoa powder and stevia , melt it all together in the microwave and then freeze it , it you like coconut you are in luck as is delicious. You can always try that . 

Keith L.
on 10/29/13 3:53 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

It's not that we can't absorb the fat in coconut oil it is just that they are a medium chain tryiglyceride and what this means is that we can digest this fat faster than we can other fats. The enzymes that break the fats down into digestible components can work on multiple branches of the fat molecule. Since this happens faster it means we can absorb the fats in the duodendum (RNY patients are bypassed) and therefore this type of fat or triglyceride in this case will most likely be used for fuel faster. This is a quote from the Wikipedia article on medium chain triglycerides:

"Patients that have malnutrition or malabsorption syndromes are treated with MCTs because they do not require energy for absorption, utilization, or storage."

Long chain and very long chain triglycerides must be modified by your digestive tract before they can be absorbed. These are the triglycerides typically found in saturated fats.

So it is fair to say they are digested differently but definitely digested and very energy dense, so this is why they are good on a low carb diet when we are depriving our bodies of the easy energy from carbs.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Chrissy W.
on 10/30/13 6:53 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

Thanks Keith. What sorts of fats do you recommend?

Also, I'll be trying the coconut oil "chocolate bar" for sure. GREAT suggestion!

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

abbyluwho
on 10/29/13 4:10 am - kc, MO
VSG on 06/25/13 with

I suppose I'm a little lucky in that  I don't necessarily crave a certain thing as much as I just want to eat everything.  This is when I let myself have carrots and cauliflower, if I should happen to want sweet, I eat a few apple slices.    I can't stand protein drinks, so on a daily basis, if it isn't protein rich, it doesn't go in my mouth. 

HW 276 ( 2008)  SW 228 (6-25-2013) CW 165 (12-23-2013)  Goal: 150

candiedtamz
on 10/29/13 1:39 pm - TX
VSG on 10/22/13

I must agree with Claudiaes here!

Try to Google some low carb dessert options that are out there to help you. This is what I plan on doing when its my time. I once did a short stent of the HCG diet a few years ago (it was quite popular in my office then) and we always did the easiest apple pie recipe we could using the microwave. We cut up 1 apple & placed in a bowl with a tiny bit of water then shook cinnamon on top. Then took a paper towel (slightly moistened) and placed on top for 1 minute in microwave. After that, added a couple of splenda packs and stirred. Ta Da...instant apple pie! I will try this again but I'm going to add moistened/cooked oatmeal on top sprinkled with a cinnamon/sugar mix and see how that goes. Good Luck to everyone with their TOM struggles!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 87 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 300 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 347 views