Does anyone else get headaches/migraines?

Annievvho
on 11/5/13 10:14 am - Roanoke, VA
VSG on 11/29/13
I am a pretty constant headache sufferer. Historically, the only products that have helped with migraines without that "hangover" feeling some medications leave, are NSAID containing medications (Excedrine, ibuprofen).

So, with this surgery, I will be advised NOT to take NSAIDs. That is a scary prospect for me. The only thing that makes me feel as bad (sometimes worse) than being obese is that worst-pain-ever-located-in-the-control-tower-of-my-whole-body that is a migraine.

What do other people take for their headaches/migraines post-op?

Do other people's surgeons say no NSAIDs ever, or is it a certain amount of time?
Chrissy W.
on 11/5/13 10:43 am, edited 11/5/13 10:44 am - Indianapolis, IN
VSG on 07/01/13

My surgeon said NSAIDs were fine. That's actually in the top reasons that I chose the sleeve. No serious medication restrictions. Since we have a functioning stomach, we aren't at risk of developing ulcers like bypass patients. We still have the thick, strong tissue of the stomach on our side, while bypass patients' "pouch" is much thinner and not as tough.

I will say, however, that I've only taken Ibuprofen once since surgery and I had heartburn the rest of the day. That was about a month out, so it's possible that I just wasn't ready for it. I've taken Excedrine several times in the last few weeks (seasonal allergy headaches) and haven't had a single issue. I'll probably try Ibuprofen again eventually because I don't want the caffeine that's in Excedrine.

AS ALWAYS... Talk to your surgeon. Some say NO NSAIDs whatsoever, some (like mine) say it's no big deal.

VSG 7/1/13 with Dr. Jack Rutledge 28 y/o female - 5'10" - HW: 298GW: 174 - SW: 290 (-8) - M1: 262 (-28) - M2: 247 (-15) - M3: 235 (-12) - M4: 228 (-7 ~First Stall: almost 2 wks~) - M5: 218 (-10) - M6: 209 (-9) - M7: 199 (-10) Onederland on 1/31 - M8: 196 (-3) 100 lb total loss on 2/2 - M9: 192.6 (-3.4) - M10: 188.6 (-4) - M11: 182 (-6.6) - M12: 175.6 (-6.4) - M13: 173.8 (-1.8) CW (7/8/15): 167 - GOAL reached in 1 Year and 25 Days! - TOTAL WL - 131 lbs  

lil1inside
on 11/5/13 11:04 am
VSG on 07/10/13

Hello Annievvho!  I can relate wholeheartedly to your post.  I've suffered with migraines for many years--they have been eased somewhat with betablockers that I take, but still there is nothing better than Excedrine for them.  I was very worried about this also.  My surgeons office did advise to stop taking the Exedrine, but I researched and researched and hopefully I'll be o.k. with what I do, and that is:  I try to only take the Exedrine only when absolutely necessary, and then I'll drink a whole glass of water with it, to help dissolve it, so it doesn't sit in the stomach and then I'll drink a whole glass of milk also.  I feel for you!  Best of luck with your sleeve.

p.s. can I mention that when I tried the biotin for hair loss, my headaches/migraines got worse--just thought I'd mention this to you, just in case.

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

JennyBee
on 11/5/13 3:17 pm

My surgeon said I can take my NSAID for migraine, but suggested taking something to protect my stomach when I do (Pepcid, in my case.) 

I also got headaches from a high dose of biotin. I started taking MSM, a sulphur supplement, instead, but lower biotin dose could work too.

tdallison
on 11/6/13 3:01 am - TX
VSG on 08/26/13

I suffer from headaches pretty much daily.  Either stress related or allergies, sometimes both.  My Dr. told me I could take Tylenol.  I used to take Ibuprofen because Tylenol did not do anything for me.  The Tylenol works for me now (odd).  When it is a really bad headache I go see my pharmacist (I work in a hospital) and he gives me liquid Tylenol which seems to work the best for me now and kick in faster than pills. 

Toni Dallison

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength" Phil. 4:13

linzeelee
on 11/6/13 3:40 am - Omaha, NE
VSG on 05/17/13
I sympathize with your fears. I used to get a lot of headaches, and I have some other pain issues.

Make sure to get clarification on what your surgeon says about NSAIDs. I know there are plenty of people who take them post-op. Some have issues taking them and some do not. My surgeon recommended no NSAIDs for 3 months following surgery. He said if I do take them to make sure I am taking my PPI and to take with food. Now at almost 6 months out, I take meloxicam (easier on my stomach than ibuprofen) once or twice a week for foot pain.

I get occasional migraines. Excedrin is what helps those. The only migraine I've had since surgery was only a few days post-op. I took one of my pain killers leftover from surgery and went to bed.

I used to have constant daily headaches for years, and they improved when I quit taking the birth control pill. I was a little worried that rapid weight loss would screw with my hormones and give me headaches, but that has not been the case.

I think that my low carb way of eating helps to balance out my blood sugar, and that keeps headaches away as well. Before surgery, I used to get a lot of low blood sugar crashes, which generally meant lots of headaches.

Now when I do get a headache, tylenol seems to work pretty well (it never used to pre-op).

Lindsay ~ 5'4" ~ HW (5/6/13): 280 ~ SW (5/17/13): 273 ~ CW: 140
Losses by month: pre-op: -8  M1: -18  M2: -12  M3: -13  M4: -9  M5: -10  M6: -12
  M7: -14  M8: -12  M9: -2  M10: -8  M11: -9  M12: -2  M13: -6  M14: -7

hollykim
on 11/6/13 7:49 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Our stomach has not changed at all. It is just smaller. If. YOu could take NSAIDS pre op ,you should be able to take them post op.

Low magnesium has been implicated in migraines. . I would start supplementing with it even if your labs say you are not low.

Artificial sweeteners have also been shown to cause migraines. Even and sometimes "sugar free" products like syrups,jello,pudding etc.
GL

hwag5149
on 11/6/13 11:08 pm, edited 11/6/13 11:08 pm

Imitrex. I get 3-5 migraines a week and that's the only thing that has saved my life. Just a week ago I went for my first botox treatment for migraines and it seems to be working ok. I've had a few migraines since then but they aren't extreme anymore. I will also add that before I had surgery I researched weight loss and migraines and saw that weight loss can decrease them by 75% alone.

HW 380.8+  SW- 371.4  CW- 234.4  GW- 200 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views