Psych Eval?

kan7525
on 12/1/13 2:43 am - Springfield, MO

i just had my last Tuesday.  I filled out some paperwork that asked questions about my mental and physical health history and that of my family's.  Once at the actual appointment, the doctor and I talked as he looked at the paperwork.  We talked for about 30 minutes.  Then he had me answer a bunch of true/false questions on a bubble sheet.  When I finished the questions he had an assistant score it while we talked some more.  After the test was scored (10 minutes or less) we talked about the answers and my strengths and weaknesses going into surgery.  

The doctor told me at the beginning of the appointment that he can't "fail" me, he basically gives one of two recommendations to the surgeon 1. I am ready for surgery or 2. I need therapy before surgery.  

I was just 100% honest in my evaluation.  I decided I wasn't going to try to guess the "right" answer to a question but be myself and it went fine.  

Good luck!

~Kimberly

Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you.

Gwen M.
on 12/1/13 2:56 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Thank you very much!  This is reassuring :)

Mary Gee
on 12/1/13 4:54 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I was nervous about my eval too.  I used to do terrible on job interviews and thought here we go.     I wasn't really afraid I would "fail" - but was afraid I'd have to have additional individual sessions (especially when I started crying when she asked if I was married, etc. - my husband died unexpectedly 10 years ago and I still break down every time I think of his death)   But basically she asked about my earlier life, any trauma.  Asked about support.  Asked about diet history.  Told her I have been doing a lot of research, that I know it's not going to be a "cure-all" and it requires hard work.  Told her I'm trying to make healthy changes now to prepare.  One thing that really impressed her was I told her I told my SO that he's responsible for his health and I'm responsible for my own health.  She told me that was key - taking responsibility for your own actions and not letting others lead you astray.  So I think I see her one more time right before surgery.  

Don't worry about it -- like everyone else said -- she's not looking to fail you - just wants to be sure you know what's ahead and you're prepared for it.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Gwen M.
on 12/1/13 9:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Thank you!  I appreciate hearing about your experience :)  It sounds like you had a great doc!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views