Birth control pills

Ariana_Rose
on 12/18/13 11:04 am - NJ
VSG on 07/06/11 with

My surgeon did not require me to stop them before surgery, however he did change the brand of pills I was on. I was taking Yaz, and changed to Lo-Estrine a month before I had surgery due to the high likelihood of clots with Yaz. After surgery, I was cleared to take them as well. My surgeons requirements allowed for pills smaller than the size of an M&M. The first day/night may be tricky depending on what your surgeon allows and if you are required to do the barium swallow to check for leaks. Good luck, hopefully you don't have to come off them - or not for long, at least.

"Nothing great is ever achieved without much enduring." - St. Catherine of Sienna

mizsweetp
on 12/18/13 3:08 pm
VSG on 12/05/13

I was required to take a 12 week weight loss class prior to having surgery. In that class it was explained to me that the because most of the stomach is removed during the sleeve procedure that it affects the body's ability to absorb some medications, birth control being one of those medications. It was also explained that weight loss could possible make women more fertile. I had to have an IUD placed before the surgeon would perform my surgery. I also had to agree not to try to get pregnant for 1-2 years. Good Luck!

MacMadame
on 12/18/13 3:35 pm - Northern, CA

I don't see why they'd be less effective post-op. We still have our intestines and that's where they are absorbed. RnYers can have issues with BC not absorbing but we're not RnYers.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views