Classifying people as obese

sillymilly
on 1/30/14 3:29 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

My brother had to have a "wellness exam" for his health insurance yesterday.  The result was he is 6'3", 227lbs, BMI 25.9%.  According to their chart, they told him he was obese!  They showed it to him on the chart.

I told him 30+ was obese, he's in the "overweight" category.  I'm wondering if it has something to do with health insurance rates?  I know my employer's plan allows for higher employee premiums if you are overweight and NOT on some type of weight loss plan (same for smokers who are not trying some sort of smoking cessation program).  Maybe the insurance companies can charge the employers more if a certain percentage of the employees are obese?  Plus, when I put his height/weight in the BMI calculators I get 28.4, not 25.9.

Anyway, my brother just laughed it off and said as long as he can see his toes he's not worried about his weight.  

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

honeybeeme
on 1/30/14 3:44 am
VSG on 01/22/14

I was worried about my goal weight because BMI registers it as overweight, but I just read that it isn't when you take into account your age. How old is he? 

sillymilly
on 1/30/14 4:30 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

He's 39.

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

VSG on 06/12/13

It would seem that it's in the insurance company's best interests to classify as many people as obese as possible to raise rates/defend against higher costs related to obesity.

I just assumed that they'd follow standard charts to determine, though. It doesn't surprise me if they're making up their own rules.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/30/14 8:36 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I don't know what chart they are using. I'm 6'3" and a normal BMI was 199 and under.

Maybe he got the numbers mixed up?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

HollyBell
on 1/31/14 10:18 am

That's a weird thing... When I got hired for my most recent job in my new hire paperwork there was a form I had to fill out stating what my current weight was and what my weight 1 year ago, and 2 years ago was.  I had never encountered that before and I felt a little funny about it, but I guess it is what is happening now with insurance the way that it is.  I also remember in high school one of the star football players who was in AWESOME shape, lots of lean muscle was classified as obese with just his BMI.  There is so much more to take into account when it comes to someone's health than their height and weight.

-Holly

poet_kelly
on 1/31/14 10:36 am - OH

He is not obese according to the BMI chart.  As you said, 30+ is obese on the BMI chart.  His insurance company may be using some other chart, but he is not obese on the BMI chart.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 179 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 451 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 475 views