3 days out and I'm eating...

Scribbler
on 2/7/14 7:25 am

Ok what's on my menu...?

• Isopure protein drinks. I like them! I tried the grape, and the orange-banana-pineapple. They are clear, not too sweet, and they go down easily into my "chute".
  • About Time protein shakes with Trader Joe's unsweetened almond milk. These also go right down and easy. 25g protein at a shot and they're keeping me on goal. The almond milk has calcium also.
  • Homemade turkey broth (from the Thanksgiving turkey) that I made and froze into ice cubes. This was, by far, the smartest thing I think I ever did. Heat one or two up for a quick snack.
  • Hot herbal tea with no sugar. I have an orange and cinnamon one that I like. It's an easy way for me to hit my fluid goals.
  • Ok this is a weird one, but... MASHED PUMPKIN. I cooked a bunch of pumpkins around Thanksgiving time, and froze the extra. No sugar now, or pumpkin spice, just plain!!! Pumpkin has relatively few carbs compared to a lot of what's on my "food list" sheet from the hospital (cream of wheat, mashed potatoes, yogurt) and it's something savory. Right now everything is sweet, you know? And that gets boring.

Meds: Omeprazole 40mg, Gas-X strips, pain meds as needed.

Vitamins: I'm tolerating liquid vitamins just fine. My tummy hates pills at the moment, so I'm keeping those to a minimum right now.

Water: Hitting all goals. Thank you, herbal tea.

How am I feeling: AWESOME. Seriously. No complaints. A little sore, but it gets a tiny bit better every day. I slept very well last night and that sure helped a bunch! I have a migraine from the anesthesia, which is of the miserable, but I think it will pass in another day or two. If not, I'll hit up my PCP for another migraine shot.

Question: I'm thinking about cutting up a little bit of roast chicken breast, and grinding it to baby-food consistency in my Vitamix in a little of the broth. Would that work for a little change of pace? The Vitamix does a great job of reducing any food into super fine, baby-food paste.

~~ VSG February 4, 2014 ~~ 30lb. lost since surgery ~~
~~ you will never regret not eating something ~~
~~if you're light enough, you just might be able to fly~~
~~nothing tastes as good as skinny feels~~
HW: 303 || SW: 255 || CW: 225 || GW: 120 || UGW: 105

maybebaby
on 2/7/14 7:27 am - ID
VSG on 02/21/14

Wow you are lucky. I have to be on clear liquid diet for a full week after surgery! 

Don't dream it. Be it. 

VSG on 06/12/13

Follow your diet per your doc's instructions. I haven't heard of other 3-day sleevers on purees, but then again, I was on one of the more conservative diets (4 weeks on liquids).

Understand the reason for slow diet progression if you haven't yet been cleared for purees - because the pyloric value in our stomach is still intact, our tiny tummies are now high-pressure systems. The more work your stomach needs to do to digest food, the greater the risk of rupture and that is somewhere you do NOT want to go. Search the archives here for Frisco's explanation of the pyloric valve's function.

Glad you are doing well, though. About Time protein is our drink of choice here as well because it is really clean without a lot of things that end in "ose" added - a hot button for hubby. I make mine with unsweetened almond milk, too, plus a scoop of Barn Dad's fiber DX. It's what's for breakfast for me.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 2/7/14 3:13 pm
VSG on 10/09/12

I was on purees and soft foods pretty much out of the gate. Egg at a day out, cottage cheese, yogurt, baby food. By week 3 I was on a regular diet. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Scribbler
on 2/7/14 9:04 pm

Thanks! I did ask the dietician about the puree pumpkin and I was cleared to eat it, but I didn't ask about the chicken - I can totally wait on the chicken if it might be too much stress - however the dietician said I could run chicken soup through the blender and that would be ok. The pumpkin is about the same consistency as the Greek yogurt they want me to eat (but I don't like it) so I figured it was ok anyway.

mollz007
on 2/7/14 10:37 am
VSG on 02/20/14

This was very helpful as I will be in your shoes in just a few weeks. I'm not sure about the chicken, I guess it depends on your plan. My plan does not have me on pureed foods until week 3. Good luck! Sounds like you are doing great!

check out my blog!

jessies824
on 2/7/14 1:09 pm
VSG on 02/04/14

this seems really fast for your food intake im on only full liquids for 3 weeks pudding jello yogurt strained cream of blank soup instant breakfast nothing really with any texture and i can barely get all my liquid in since im still swollen i believe we had surgery the same day mine was tuesday 

Luvs2Cruise
on 2/7/14 2:24 pm
VSG on 10/30/13

Wow, your food plan moves fast....at 3 days out, I was on full liquids only. Infact, I was on full liquids for the first two weeks.  I wasn't allowed "babyfood consistency" chicken until week 3. 

VSG on 10/30/13 Surgeon: Erik Throop    "There are plenty of difficult obstacles in your path. Don't allow yourself to become one of them." ~ Ralph Marston

HW: 447 YIKES!!!! SW: 293  CW: 140 GW:140?  100% on Plan -100% of the time!!!

Losses by Months: (5' 1") WL Pre-Op-154  M1-28​, M2-12, M3-18, M4-15, M5-14.5, M6-13.5, M7-10, M8-13, M9-14, M10-10, M11-1 (What the heck??)  M12-4as of today's date     

kan7525
on 2/7/14 9:42 pm - Springfield, MO

I was still on clear liquids on day 3!  Be sure to check with your doctor's office before you deviate from their plan.  Good luck.

~Kimberly

Sometimes life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you.

VSGSteve
on 2/8/14 11:11 am - NJ
VSG on 04/17/13

I wouldn't touch a chicken purée until 15th day!!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views