WLS seminar cancelled tonight

gabby169kitty
on 2/20/14 8:34 am

Stupid blizzard is closing everything, including the university, so logically the WLS seminar got cancelled tonight. The next one is on March 11th. I have my annual physical with my PCP that morning so it will be a good chance to talk to her about the possibility of surgery. She's seen me through a lot of hard times and I'm sure she'll support me through this too. But, I'm still nervous about bringing this up to her. sigh...

LosingSarah
on 2/20/14 9:16 am - Moorhead, MN
VSG on 10/16/13

I get your hesitation. I brought up how I've struggled to lose weight while trying over and over again with hopes that she'd bring it up. She did, too. It'll be good that you can talk to her about it, then attend the seminar that night. Especially if she isn't in the pro-WLS camp, so you can potentially find a new PCP if you need to by asking at the seminar.  Honestly, though, if the WL Center is part of your hospital system/clinic, like mine, I don't imagine she'll try to steer you away from surgery. Even if it isn't she probably won't. Most doctors understand how WLS is an effective option for obese people.

Good luck, and congrats on taking the steps towards WLS. I am early out, but have not had a single regret yet.

gabby169kitty
on 2/21/14 4:18 pm

I can't imagine my PCP not being supportive. I worked with her for all of 2012 to lose weight and she knows my family history. She's been my PCP for 5 years and has seen me through some really really really hard times. She knows how hard I've worked on other areas of my life. She's told me, several times, that she tells other patients about me when they are going through crap so they can know life does get better and it's not just her saying it will. When I grew up it wasn't ok to ask for help. It was 5 years ago that I knew I was in trouble (suicidally depressed). I had seen another doctor twice and wasn't satisfied but didn't have the strength inside to ask to see another doctor. After a really bad weekend I knew I needed a medication adjustment or something else done so I called to make another appointment with the first doc. She wasn't in that day but my now PCP was and I've been with her ever since.

Monday morning I have an appointment with my psychiatrist and will talk to her about this as well. I'm not sure what her reaction will be because she's fairly new to me. I do know she's far more likely to be supportive than the other psychiatrist I had in that office. Depending on the type of WLS my surgeon and I decide on one of my medications will have to be changed from a xr version to non-xr. 

I know I need to take this step and it would be hard to find a better time in my life to go through the process. I'm single, no kids, have double insurance coverage (means I won't pay anything for the surgery), I can take as long as I need off of work and not worry about income.  I just hate bringing up awkward conversations. I better get good at it because there are a lot of people I'll have to talk to about this.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views