Constipation?

shorty71
on 4/15/14 9:07 am - CT
VSG on 04/01/14 with

Prior to surgery I had IBS.  Going 3-4 times a day was normal. Now since the sleeve I'm constipated!  Ouch!  I didn't think I'd have constipation with the sleeve.  Not wanting to take anything for it. I know miralax is good and won't make you have to keep taking it but I'm hoping it resolves on it's own. Anyone have the same issue?  Resolved?

Ken C.
on 4/15/14 9:14 am
VSG on 03/11/14

Yes, stay on top of this. My water intake was poor postoperatively that exacerbated the problem. Benefiber or I used sugarless gummies fiber from Walgreens (you are too new tho). If you need to consult your surgeon do so soon, IBS may need special attention! 

Stevensl
on 4/15/14 9:22 am
VSG on 04/02/14

Please please please take a stool softner . I have experienced constipation during pre op and pos op...I was taking mirlax every 2 days....that's not working . I took Duculax because I was desperate and in discomfort...well the Duculax did not agree with my new tummy so I started vomiting real bad...call you doctor and ask what you can take ...my nurse told me to take milk mag. Or Colace.

Good luck

Ribigman
on 4/15/14 9:39 am
VSG on 04/10/14

I also had IBS prior to surgery, took four days post op before anything left the "basement".  My nutritionist suggested puree prunes and making sure I got plenty of water. It worked, day 5 and 6 everything started working again, 2-3 times a day. Sorry if it was tmi but it is what it is.

(deactivated member)
on 4/15/14 10:21 am - Canada

I'm 4 months out and getting in all my liquids and still dealing with constipation.  I don't think it regulates itself.  Call your doctor.

Jennifer E.
on 4/15/14 11:28 am

I was told to take miralax AND a stool softener.  Even though I was only taking in liquids at the time I became constipated from pain meds and anesthesia and became quite nauseous.

Jennifer:  HW:  252     SW: 244.   CW:  168

Surgery Date:  3/17/14

shopaholic2014
on 4/15/14 9:01 pm

My doctor prescribed Senna (ask about this, as it is mild and does not cause cramping like some laxatives, at least for me anyway) before I even left the hospital, and, boy, have I needed it. I take it twice a day sometimes and still don't have relief until early the next day. It stinks but I definitely think it happens to a lot of us and has to do with changing up the anatomy. I try to drink plenty of fluids, but that's not always the answer. I will say if you get desperate, I had a Boost (actually only about 3 drinks of it!) before realizing how high the sugar content was, and that cleaned me right out (dumping syndrome)!

Lemily
on 4/15/14 10:57 pm
VSG on 01/16/14

My constipation started at like 10 weeks. It was awful and painful. I never called the surgeon, and I should have because at my 3 month appointment he was upset that I didnt call. I read a bunch of posts regarding this subject. Right now - in my morning protein shake - i take down a cap of miralax and mix in 3 tsp of benefiber. At night I am taking 2 senecots like every other day. The surgeon advised to stop taking the senecot and let the miralax and benefiber do its magic. Once I was going regularly again (which has not happened yet), stop the miralax and continue with the benefiber. Definitely consult your surgeon before taking anything.

A. Kondrlik
on 4/16/14 10:45 am
VSG on 01/24/13

I tried everything, and nothing really worked till my doc told me to use Miralax... worked great.   As I got further out I increased the fiber in my diet and was gradually able to cut back and finally cd/c.  I am sorry I waited so long. 

Anne

HW 259    GW 145    CW 140.2  Not finished yet?   

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views