5%? Where does this come from?

jamiemarlowe
on 4/20/14 11:06 am

I've heard/seen several people post that only 5% of obese people lose their weight and keep it off for 5 years. Where does this come from? I'm not questioning the reality of it, it makes sense to me I was just wondering where the info came from. 

Also does anyone know the percentage of people that lose their 60-80% EWL after surgery and keep it off? Just curious. 

Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/14 11:10 am
VSG on 03/04/14 with

I don't have the citation handy, but the 5 % was for morbidly obese losing 100 pounds and keeping it off, without surgery.

I would love to see some studies for those who had surgery.

pugmadkate
on 4/20/14 11:15 am

My nutritionist said that the post-op, five year follow-up studies for VSG were that 50% had kept the weight off.

sillymilly
on 4/20/14 11:40 am - NC
VSG on 07/17/13

Ask your doctor if he has stats, either all- encompassing or just for his patients.  I know mine tracks patients for five years, and encourages patients to continue to check in after that.  I'm sure the data must be used in someone's studies.

Highest weight:  287    Surgery weight:  279   Current weight:  150

pineview01
on 4/20/14 2:45 pm, edited 4/20/14 2:46 pm - Davison, MI

When I had the band surgery the first time I signed to be part of a 3 year study but never heard from them after the first 3 years.  

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=95

How Successful Are U.S. Citizens at Maintaining Long-Term Weight Loss?

Most people have successfully lost weight at some point in their lives.  However, people’s success at maintaining that weight loss is another story.  When you look at clinical trials of long-term weight loss maintenance, the numbers don’t look so good.  Approximately 10-20% of subjects are able to maintain a weight loss of at least 5% after 5 years.  The results of other research also look grim; five years after completing structured weight loss programs, people only maintain a 3% weight loss.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

jamiemarlowe
on 4/20/14 11:22 pm

Thanks, the one study was pretty interesting, siting on 2% retention. This just makes so much sense - no wonder we all struggled SO much before surgery on our weight loss plans.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 99 views