No calcium or N-said's post-op, what else?

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/14 9:52 am, edited 6/1/14 9:53 am - CA
VSG on 08/19/14

you may need to check the serving size on your wafers to verify that each wafer contains 1000mg  (look on the back)... Per their website the serving size is 4 wafers for the Twin Lab Bariatric Calcium wafers. , so that's 250 each.  http://www.twinlab.com/product/bariatric-support-calcium-wafers  

Rforbes79
on 6/1/14 8:39 am

they say no nsaids because they can contribute to ulcers or hernia . I believ not a hundred percent sure .

Hw 301    Gw150  Sw Started my journey in June went to my info session then July 1st was meeting with the surgeon . Have lost 7 of my 15 I had to loose next appt is august 5 . I'm excited told me it could be as soon as 3 months .went to the docs on august 2 Nd and I lost 13 lbs . I go on September 8 th and should have a date for surgery in early October  

hollykim
on 6/2/14 12:15 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On June 1, 2014 at 3:39 PM Pacific Time, Rforbes79 wrote:

they say no nsaids because they can contribute to ulcers or hernia . I believ not a hundred percent sure .

this is simply incorrect information. NSAIDS cannot cause hernias,straining or pressure causes hernias. 

With the VSG,we have the exact same stomach we had pre op,only smaller. It a person could take NSAID s pre op they can take them post op. Having a VSG and taking NS a iD s is not more likely to cause ulcers than taking NSAIDS pre op was. 

poet_kelly
on 6/1/14 8:46 am - OH

The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says VSG patients should take 1500 mg calcium citrate (not carbonate) a day.  Who told you no calcium, and why?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

themexcellentone
on 6/1/14 9:19 am, edited 6/1/14 9:19 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Whoever told you no calcium was full of it.

You NEED to supplement with calcium post-op because you won't be able to get enough of it from food.  Calcium citrate is best absorbed, not calcium carbonate.  Also, don't take your calcium and iron supplements together--space this out.  The iron interferes with the absorption of the calcium and so the effectiveness of either is reduced.

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/14 11:42 am

FYI - (I believe) it's the other way around: calcium trumps iron. My understanding is both minerals use the same receptors and for some reason calcium trumps iron. Calcium supplementation has been linked to iron deficiency. This link is to a pretty good article: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/68/1/3.full.pdf

themexcellentone
on 6/1/14 11:53 am
VSG on 07/08/13 with

Aha...I knew it was one or the other.  I did know you don't take them together, though...hence the reason I take my iron at night, long after I've taken my second calcium chew for the day!

VSG by Nick Nicholson in 2013. Revised to DS 2/23/2023 by Chad Carlton.

desertdancer
on 6/1/14 3:23 pm

This has been very helpful thank you everyone. No one specific told me it was a comment i saw in a post about the topic. 

signatureshort.jpg picture by desertdancer2008  

MacMadame
on 6/2/14 1:37 am - Northern, CA

One of the reasons I went for VSG is that it gives you a normal stomach, just smaller. That means you have no reason to avoid anything because of your VSG. Now you may want to avoid things for other reasons. I avoid sugar because it's not good for me. I avoid NSAIDs because they interfere with fitness gains and are hard on your kidneys. I avoid Tylenol because it's hard on the liver. And so forth and so on. But I don't avoid these things because I have a VSG.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views