No calcium or N-said's post-op, what else?

desertdancer
on 6/1/14 3:55 am, edited 6/1/14 5:22 am

I am headed for the sleeve, and I am pretty informed on the RNY and band post-op stuff but not so much the sleeve, yet !

I understood why the N-said's with both surgeries, and was informed by my surgeon that with the sleeve in time, i can take that to help my arthritis but not daily. What caught my attention is on a recent post someone said that calcium was not something we should have so this got me thinking..........

1) is this true and does anyone know why not?

2) what ELSE in form of meds/vitamins are we not allowed to have anymore post-op sleeve?

I do fully understand every surgeon/surgery is different, and I know each plan is different, but i am curious to know what you were all told and follow when it comes to this. So I can see what i need to ask my surgeon. Thanks in advance 

**** added in: FYI I have only had the original surgeon appointment for the surgery. I have my nut appointment on Monday and will be going through a 4 hour class at the end of the month. I am sure by the time they submit to insurance, I will have MUCH more info on what I am supposed to take after. I just want to know what you all were told on what to avoid after surgery. I know this varies by surgeon for sure. 

signatureshort.jpg picture by desertdancer2008  

MAchick
on 6/1/14 4:14 am
VSG on 01/27/14

From my understanding,  most surgeons DO recommend calcium supplements post op. You need a different kind though so it can be used properly by your body. Calcium citrate instead of calcium carbonate. Most people take 500 2-3x per day,  at least two hours apart and two hours from any multivitamin containing iron or iron supplements. 

Of course,  it all depends on yyour surgeon and Nut's plan. 

desertdancer
on 6/1/14 5:19 am

Good to know, thank you! 

mustlovepoodles
on 6/1/14 4:25 am
VSG on 12/31/13

I have never heard of any surgeon telling a WLS patient NOT to take calcium!  Maybe you heard that you should not take calcium carbonate--that kind of calcium is not easily used by the body. Calcium citrate is much better and that's the one they usually recommend.  In fact, most surgeons REQUIRE you to take 1500mg elemental calcium daily FOR LIFE.

HW: 229 ; SW: 208 (-21);  GW: 125

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

desertdancer
on 6/1/14 5:19 am

I am so glad i asked! 

mustlovepoodles
on 6/1/14 5:27 am
VSG on 12/31/13

Now, as far as the NSAIDS that seems to vary from one surgeon to another. One of the reasons I was thrilled to get the VSG was that I could take an NSAID for my arthritis.  Alas, it has not worked out that way.  My surgeon has forbidden me to have oral NSAIDs forever.  I had reflux and a hiatal hernia prior to surgery. He fixed the hernia, but the reflux remains.  I know I could take an NSAID if I wanted to--I'm a grown woman, able to make my own decisions. I choose to follow my surgeon's advice, however. I trusted him to perform the most invasive surgery I have ever had; I'll trust him with his after-care advice.

Keep asking questions. Nothing is off the table.

Wt. Loss:   M1: 189 -(19)  M2: 178 (-11)  M3: 172 (-5)  M4: 170 (-2)  M5: 166 (-4)

desertdancer
on 6/1/14 7:18 am

I did ask him about that one, and he said he doesn't mind the occasional need, but not a daily basis. He did reply that my arthritis will be gone so I probably will not need it anyhow. BUT he does not know the extent of my body injuries, and i have arthritis in the neck in a major way and do need help at times to reduce that pain. Hips and back too, but that i believe will reduce with weight loss. 

mustlovepoodles
on 6/1/14 8:55 am
VSG on 12/31/13

To say your arthritis will be gone is pretty ambitious. The arthritis in your hips, knees and feet will probably get better as you lose the weight, but it may not go away completely. The arthritis in your neck, spine or hands will likely not get much better.

I have psoriatic arthritis in my feet and hands. My fingers are moderately gnarled and swollen. They feel stiff most of the time--I have to soak them in ho****er every morning. The arthritis in my feet  has gotten somewhat better but it's still pretty bad if I have to be on my feet for a long time. I have a prescription for Voltaren gel, a NSAID that you rub into the skin around a joint. It's better than nothing, but it really doesn't cover extreme pain.

I have used an essential oil called Panaway on my knee--I had arthroscopy in Feb and my recovery has been slow even with PT. I am not usually a fan of non-traditional medicine but Panaway gave me good relief quickly. I rubbed it into the skin over the joint all the way around several times a day. I'm using it on my feet now, since I got such good relief in my knee. IMO, rubbing oil into my skin beats the heck out of ingesting chemicals that might hurt me.  YMMV

Gwen M.
on 6/1/14 8:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

You need calcium.  Not calcium carbonate - we need calcium citrate.  But you 100% need it.  The ASMBS recommends 1500mg/day, I believe.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

sjunguzza
on 6/1/14 8:37 am, edited 6/1/14 8:37 am

I just reread my multivitamin, and it contains 5mg of iron. My doc said no iron supplements till 6 wks out. Is that 5 mg bad? Should i go buy a new one? 

Also my doc wanted me to get calcium citrate @ 500mg 2x per day with a coating of vitamin d. I got that, but each wafer contains 1000 mg of calcium ...should i break it in half?

And lastly, the calcium wafer also has 500mg of magnesium.

Is that ok?

The brand is TwinLab Bariatric Support , so i figured it would be a safe choice.

Gonna call my doc tomorrow, just wanted some opinions from here too

HW - 298    SW - 282   VSG on 5/27/14

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 73 views