It's a beautiful thing, no?

ywgchick
on 6/5/14 11:36 am
VSG on 05/08/14

Post-op 4 weeks: LONG ramblings of a VSG-er

(Full disclosure: I am still in the honeymoon phase so this might get quite sappy)

I am 4 weeks post-op and I couldn’t be happier. That’s not to say that everything has been puppy dogs and rainbows but I’m thrilled none the less.

Where I’m at: Well, literally, I’m in Montreal for work right now. This is one of the reasons I’ve put on weight over the last year. I travel at least once a month for and my eating habits are especially terrible when I’m on the road. The sleeve is a godsend right now!!

Where I’m at, mentally: I’m down about 18lbs (including preop). I’m not sure exactly because I don’t have a scale. (I KNEW I should have packed one!!). It may not seem as impressive as other people but it's almost 10 % of my starting weight. I’ve gone from a 37.8 BMI to 34.4. I’m still eating lots of mushy food but I’m starting to incorporate little chunks (which I chew excessively). I’m choosing protein first, always. My biggest challenge is getting my water in.

HIGHLIGHT OF THE WEEK: a decaf coffee. It was pure ambrosia.

LOWLIGHT OF THE WEEK: I missed a PPI pill last week. Yeah, yeah, old age. What can I say, I forgot. My chest got all tight and I got a cough. The tight chest was not pleasant. In fact, it kind of scared me so I went to the ER. I spent the day there. They did an EKG, chest x-ray and all kinds of fun stuff. Don’t forget your PPI, people.

STUFF I’M LEARNING: 

1. Don’t eat too fast because your stomach will let you know it’s unhappy. And if you do eat to fast, walk it off! 
2. Have food in your purse. Eating every 3 hours SEEMS simple enough. It ain’t. Plan for it.
3. Water (see above)
4. Eggs are not my friend. More like a frenemy.
5. Yogurt I can take in smoothies but not on its own. Go figure.
6. I’m liking tea. That’s new. We’ll see if that sticks.
7. I’m not hungry but sometimes I think I am. Oh look, that happens when I’m bored or stressed. What’s the takeaway here, dear Sylvie??
8. Gurgle, gurgle, gurgle, burp. Repeat.

REASONS I LOVE MY SLEEVE.
- That sense of empowerment when you don’t finish your meal. 
- My pants are fitting better.
- I swear, my skin feels smoother. This might just be my imagination.
- Increased energy.

THE EXERCISE PARADIGM:
- I WANT to exercise because I know it’s accelerating the weight loss process.
- Because I’m exercising, I’m burning off some of my stress. (I’m a stress eater)
- Because I’m burning off my stress, I’m feeling less stressed lately. Truth.
- Because I’m less stressed, it doesn't occur to me to want to eat to de-stress.

It’s a beautiful thing, no?

Height: 5'1 | HW: 200 lbs | CW: 136

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/14 11:40 am

What a great post.  Yes, it's a beautiful thing.  I love my sleeve too, even at five years out.  Enjoy the journey/battle/ride, it's pretty amazing.

ywgchick
on 6/5/14 11:53 am
VSG on 05/08/14

Thank you, Elina. I'm glad to hear you're still loving it 5 years out. That's really encouraging!

Amber G.
on 6/5/14 3:11 pm
VSG on 04/02/14

Awesome post! Yes, it is a beautiful thing! You hit so much on the nail! Thanks for sharing! 

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/14 5:10 pm

Sorry I'm new to this and don't know some of the lingo. What is ppi ? And congrats on your progress!

ywgchick
on 6/5/14 10:28 pm
VSG on 05/08/14

Thanks, Nita!

A ppi is a little pill the Doctor prescribes you to prevent acid reflux. Acid reflux is common after surgery but it usually subsides after a few months.

Calaska
on 6/6/14 2:42 pm - AK
VSG on 08/18/14

Proton pump inhibitor. Reduces the amount of acid your stomach produces. 

58 yo female, 5'9" HW: 297 SW: 285  Surgery W: 252. CW: 224.8 GW: 160        

If there is no struggle, there is no progress. ~ Frederick Douglass

Tracy D.
on 6/6/14 1:18 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

It is a beautiful thing, Syvlie!  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 281 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 335 views