CARBS

Redhotqtee
on 7/16/14 10:17 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Hi Everyone.  How many grams of carbs do you stick to per day?  I was looking through my binder from the hospital, and it doesnt list anything in regards to carbs(which is weird).  I've seen some posters say they stick to 40 and under.  But I noticed yesterday while eating a greek yogurt, it had 20 grams of carbs???.. So, if I were to eat two of them per day, I would be close to or go over the allotted amount, depending on what else I ate that day.  Im finally getting used to the protein and getting that in, but the carbs are hard/scary, because I know they can cause you to gain weight... What should I do?

Mike D.
on 7/16/14 10:31 pm
VSG on 04/11/14

I stay around 30 to 35 carbs a day. Dannon light and fit Greek yogurt only has eight carbs per serving. You really have to shop around to stay under those carbs a 40.

Mike  5'10"   Starting weight: 287  SW: 256  CW: 199.4 M1: -10   M2: -18

Redhotqtee
on 7/16/14 10:54 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Okay... thank you.. I 'll have to check that out..

Mike D.
on 7/16/14 11:24 pm
VSG on 04/11/14

Also syntrex protein powder has 0 carbs where some have 8 or more. 

Mike  5'10"   Starting weight: 287  SW: 256  CW: 199.4 M1: -10   M2: -18

happyteacher
on 7/16/14 10:37 pm

Your yogurt is too high- must have some sugar in there.  Like the poster above mentioned try Dannon light and fit greek- tastes great and much better stats. Yes, many choose to try to do 40 carbs or less... but not all of us.  The downside of 40 or less is potentially low blood sugar levels, terrible constipation from the lack of fiber, and loss of nutrients due to restricted choices. You can fix the fiber and nutrient issues with drugs/supplements.  I go around 100 net carbs a day, but not too much at one meal.  30 net at a meal, 15 net at a snack.... I eat 6-7 times a day, small amounts alternating how much carbs at one time. Downside of this approach is that for some this much carb can trigger cravings/hunger or lead to eating off plan (grazing).  You will need to find your own path- Personally I initially tried the under 40, but dealt with low blood sugar issues and constipation... totally not worth it. I had no issue getting to goal despite having higher carbs. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Redhotqtee
on 7/16/14 11:03 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

that makes perfect sense... I'm afraid that if I go over 40g of carbs that I will gain weight.  I have been at the same weight for about 2 wks now, gaining about 3-4 pounds.. Im not sure if it's a stall or if Im gaining muscle, but this is just frustrating to me. 

AL_GA_Girl
on 7/17/14 4:00 am

I totally agree about the carbs.  The first few weeks when I could not each much, I suffered from constipation and took Colace every couple of days. I thought we could not have any carbs based on what I had been reading in this forum. But my nutritionist said that I needed to add fruits and vegetables. As soon as I started adding some fruits and vegetables, I was no longer constipated. Just don't overdo it on the fruit. Also, sometimes you should base your carb intake on your activity level. If you are going to do a lot of walking or a lot of other strenuous exercise you need them for fuel and it is good to add a few through fruit or oatmeal and even a potato or rice here and there. I am about 5/1/2 months post-op and still learning. Some people are super strict but I don't like taking a bunch of meds to stay regular plus the vitamins and minerals in having variety in your diet is  a good thing.

Kelly Jean
on 7/16/14 10:57 pm, edited 7/16/14 11:07 pm
VSG on 04/08/14

Wow 20 grams is alot !!! I stay between 30 and 40 ... As said above the dannon lite and fit greek to me tastes by far the best .. The chocolate raspberry is to die for the strawberry cheese cake the orange cream and to boot they have the most protien in them also like 12 grams so it's a bonus!!! You gotta try them!!! :-)

♡ Kelly

Redhotqtee
on 7/16/14 11:05 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Thanks Kelly.. I will try those.. yes.. I just went and checked another yogurt in the fridge, and it was 10g...

Bufflehead
on 7/16/14 11:04 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

For the first year I stayed between 30 and 60 grams of carbs per day, according to my surgeon's plan. In the past six weeks, I have bumped up my calories to a base of about 1025, and my carbs have gone up correspondingly to about 90.

What should you do? I hate to give advice since I usually believe in following the plan laid out by your surgeon. But you don't have a plan that addresses carbs. Are you happy with your weight loss so far? Are you noticing cravings for carb-type foods? If you are happy with your weight loss and not struggling with cravings, I guess I would keep doing what you are doing, since it seems to be working for you. But you have to figure out what works best for you.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views