medication absorption

-Katie
on 8/16/14 10:26 am - CA

I am waiting for authorization right now for the sleeve. I was wondering how do I find out what medications I use will be absorbed especially my anti depressants which are Oxcarbizapine, Lexapro and abilify. I do take many other medications as well these are the ones I worry about the most.

Thanks for your help

-Katie

Father Don
on 8/16/14 11:19 am - Charleston, SC

should be OK.

They don't mess with our intestines like other surgeries.  The sleeve is restrictive, not malabsorptive.

Obesity Help Support Group Leader

melody_bratley
on 8/16/14 11:24 am - WI

Well my pill are absorbed normaly and they are anti rejection drugs for a kidney transplant.  My doctors didn't have to adjust any of them. Your surgeon can answer this question for sure cause everyone and every medication is different

TexasTerritory
on 8/16/14 7:54 pm
VSG on 07/22/13
I take different antidepressants but haven't had any problems. I was able to resume my meds after my test for leaks. All went well. I am one-year post-op. I am highly functional with my meds.

KathyA999
on 8/17/14 6:08 am

One thing that a lot of us end up with is a problem with acid reflux, for which most of us take a PPI, which reduces the acid in the stomach.  So if you start on a PPI after surgery, and if any of your meds needs to bind with stomach acid to completely absorb, it may be an issue.  There are two supplements that do require some stomach acid, calcium and iron, so you may need to take more of them to get the benefit (again, only if you take an anti-acid). 

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/17/14 12:11 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I have bipolar, and all of my medications are fine; my current mix is Lamictal, Lexapro, Buspar, Topamax, and Xanax for panic attacks when I need it. My psychiatrist was one of the doctors who suggested I consider WLS, actually, and I've been checking in with him every month since surgery. Everything's been just fine so far! :)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 65 views