PCP visit for problems - sort of...

VSG on 06/12/13

I had this for a while, too, about 6 months out. The PCP called it orthostatic hypotension but couldn't tell me much more than to not be afraid of the salt shaker and drink plenty of fluids. She told me to drink a G2 per day. The surgeon told me it was because my blood vessels, particularly in my legs, were big when I was big and they just hadn't shrunk yet. When I stood up, the blood pooled in the larger vessels and it took a minute for my body to realize it and kick in the heart a bit harder to get it back to my brain. It eventually went away but was really troublesome for a while.

Laurie

Sleeved 6/12/13 - 100 pounds lost to get to goal!

trinoc
on 10/5/14 12:32 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Oh thanks. Glad to hear it could just be a temporary thing! 

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

WLStruggles
on 10/4/14 7:45 am

I'm pre-op and almost hate to post because it feels like giving medical advice, but since you are waiting for a call from your surgeon, I will throw out this experience as food for thought.  I had high blood pressure, I took medication so it was controlled.  I was dieting with exercise and losing weight (albeit SLOWLY) and my BP was coming down.  I would monitor is periodically like you should.  I started getting readings of 80's/50's and became concerned.  It was the weekend so I asked a friend that is a Nutritionist and Personal Trainer and she said it could be dehydration.  She suggested I get an electrolyte drink (I use Ultima brand, zero sugar, not gatorade!)  I had a few glasses of that and took my BP a few hours later and it was much better, closer to low 100's/90's.  I felt better.

My Dr had to reduce my BP meds, I just didn't need as much anymore.  I have no idea if your electrolytes could be off, but I don't see the harm in drinking some sugar free electrolyte drinks in place of some of your water to see if it helps.  The Ultima brand I mentioned was carried at Whole Foods, but probably any store like that may carry it. They even have single serve ones if you don't want to buy a container of it.  I order mine off Amazon now, it's cheaper, but I keep it in the house in case that happens again.  I also will just occasionally have a glass when I am doing a lot of exercise, which hasn't been a lot lately  LOL 

trinoc
on 10/5/14 12:33 am - TN
VSG on 01/14/14

Thank you. I'll definitely all about that option  too

Tricia

M1 -26, M2 -14, M3 -14, M4 -12, M5 -12, M6 -11, M7 -10, M8 -12, M9 -5, Goal Reached 9 months and 14 days

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 82 views